Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brianws71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Arlington Heights, IL
I have a friend that only has a ipad, is there a way to switch between a imessage and a txt msg without having to go into settings to disable imessage. It seems to want to send the imessage when its on.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
I have a friend that only has a ipad, is there a way to switch between a imessage and a txt msg without having to go into settings to disable imessage. It seems to want to send the imessage when its on.

Why would you rather send it as a text message?

If the end user has iOS 5 it will be sent as an iMessage unless you turn it off in the settings. No other way that I know of.

Can you even send a text message to an iPad?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
you need to set the imessage settings on the phone to the same email as the ipad and set the caller id to the email and then itll get sent to both. I don't really know what your trying to do here.

Brianws71

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2011
Arlington Heights, IL
He has a ipad and a non apple cell phone. Most people dont carry a ipad with them all day so if i want send a msg to him i would probably want to send it to his phone but it prompts for the imessage when its on.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Why would you rather send it as a text message?

Can you even send a text message to an iPad?

Not sure if serous..

There are endless reasons why he wouldn't want to send an imessage. What if his friend share his iPod with a relative/spouse/etc?
Obviously he wouldn't want someone else reading the messages intended for his friend. He wants to be able to choose whether to send as an iMessage or a text depending on the situation.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
He has a ipad and a non apple cell phone. Most people dont carry a ipad with them all day so if i want send a msg to him i would probably want to send it to his phone but it prompts for the imessage when its on.

ahh I got it now. your probably going to have to create a seperate contact for his email address i dont know how else you could do it.

jwingfie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2008
Athens, GA
Not sure if serous..

There are endless reasons why he wouldn't want to send an imessage. What if his friend share his iPod with a relative/spouse/etc?
Obviously he wouldn't want someone else reading the messages intended for his friend. He wants to be able to choose whether to send as an iMessage or a text depending on the situation.

What do you mean not sure if serious?

My girlfriend has an android and an iPod touch. When I want to text her phone, I send it to her phone number. If I want to message her Touch, I send it to her email.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
to the OP
turn on iMessage on both devices. When you send the message to the iPad make sure you're sending it to your friends email address.

PCClone

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2010
So, there is no way to use iMessage on an iPad2 to send or receive text messages from non iOS5 devices, correct?

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
So, there is no way to use iMessage on an iPad2 to send or receive text messages from non iOS5 devices, correct?

incorrect if you want to receive messages from a cell phone that person has to send it to your email address so it can be viewed on the iPad.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Go to setting>messages then you'll get a screen looking like this:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318561019.379758.jpg

Switch iMessage off. If you want it back on just switch it back to the blue side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.