Carrier How to switch from AT&T ipad 1>ipad mini 4G

Discussion in 'iPad' started by pjny, Sep 10, 2013.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I have the first gen iPad with 3g ATT unlimited account and would like to switch to iPad mini 4G(LTE) with ATT. I have the iPad mini Wi-FI right now.

I am planning on sending my iPad 1 to a family member abroad next week. Is there anyway I can transfer the account to the new iPad when I get it in a month of so if I don't have the iPad 1 with me?

If so, what info do I need to activate the new iPad mini with? Will I need the iPad 1 with me and turned on when transferring account?

I was hoping to get the iPad mini 4g with retina if it is released as rumored.

Thanks.

2. mizaco macrumors member

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I think taking the SIM out of your iPad 1, and getting a SIM cutter to cut it down to iPad mini size should work... but you might not get LTE.

Have you tried calling AT&T and asking? If you want to transfer your unlimited data plan to LTE, you'll need to go through them anyway.

4. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

You will need to be sure you don't let the account on the iPad 1 get turned off. Safest way is to keep the 1 with you and active until you get the new 2. I guess you could just pull the sim from the 1 and continue paying for data on it until you get the 2.

After you get the 2 it isn't a problem to switch and can be done as you are setting up the new iPad. Like I said though if you let the account on the 1 get shut down you will never get the unlimited back.