How to switch HDs for 2011 MBP (Lion)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jesterscourt, Feb 28, 2012.

1. jesterscourt, Feb 28, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

jesterscourt macrumors regular

I have a 2011 MBP running Lion, and I ordered a Seagate Momentus XT 750 GB Hybrid drive from Amazon, which should be here later this week. I'm excited to add quite a bit of space in comparison to my 320 GB, and also the speed boost.

My question is, what is the easiest method to do this? I have an unused 2 TB external hard drive, which I am assuming I can use with Time Machine. I'd like to ideally copy everything from this hard drive so that I can essentially have a carbon copy of this drive, plus all the excess space, if that's possible. I have WiFi available as well, if that helps with the whole Lion recovery, but I wanted to come to the experts first.

Edit: Thanks everyone, ten minutes after getting home from work today I am now running with the new hard drive installed, cheers!

2. sparkomatic macrumors 6502a

sparkomatic

You can use SuperDuper! to backup your current drive to your new one. Swap out the drives and then you'll have a cloned backup of your hard drive.

There are other programs like CarbonCopy but SuperDuper! has always worked great for me.

3. jesterscourt thread starter macrumors regular

Does it matter they are different sizes and speeds?

4. itegypt macrumors 6502

itegypt

Put the new drive in external enclosure and use carboncopy and clone from your current one

5. jekyoo macrumors 6502

no.

6. jesterscourt thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everybody. I am currently cloning the hard drive via SuperDuper! as we speak, and it should be done in about two more hours.