How to Switch Off iMac that is Frozen

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ICEBreaker, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

Dear forum members,

I've just bought an iMac and am not familiar with how to use it. The iMac goes into sleep mode if I leave it unattended for a while. This is usually fine, except just now, it won't recover.

When I switch on the iMac by pressing the on/off switch, the screen comes on, but all I see is a multi-coloured swirly mouse cursor. Otherwise the background is blank. When I press the on/off switch again, it just goes back to sleep. How do I reboot??

Can anyone help?

Thanks!!
    JC

2. 119576 Guest

Hold the power button down for 5 seconds, then release. This will shut down the computer.

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

I did that before (just like PC) but it didn't work. But I tried it again, after reading your message, and it's OK now. Thanks a lot.

Is the problem I described above a common issue? I thought iMacs don't crash for no reason at all (unlike Windows).

4. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

oh wow. i clicked on this thread thinking there would be more to it. good thing you have a mac though.

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Don't believe everything a Machead tells you. They freeze, they crash.

6. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I dont know if the issue is with "iMacs" in particular. It did not crash... its just hanging because you prbaby put it to sleep, woke it up again, and then quickly put it to sleep again.. this always makes my powerbook hang, but not my mac pro. both are running 10.5

7. 119576 Guest

What he said. It happens on all computers.

8. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

I am replying from my Mac now!!

OK, I hope it won't crash too often, since I will be keeping it quite clean.

The hardware is just great. Love it. But I am finding it quite difficult to adjust to the OS and the keyboard+mouse, having been a Windows/Solaris user since the late 80s.

Either way it's fun to have a new OS with beautiful hardware to play with for a change. Love the 24inch screen.

9. Tenwamarukun macrumors newbie

Or just pull out the power cord. :)

10. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

True... but I didn't want to take the risk of harming the system (HDD etc), no matter how low the risk is. Besides, I knew there MUST be way to reboot. Perhaps I didn't hold the power button down long enough the first few times.

11. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

They don't. The key is for you to stop being so impatient and allow the 'thinking animation' to continue until the desktop is loaded. If you were 30 minutes for the desktop to load, then I suggest there may be problems.