how to switch sim cards between iphone and ipad2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iomcamaross2010, Mar 7, 2011.

1. iomcamaross2010 macrumors member

hi,
    i was wondering how i could switch my unlimited sim card on my phone4 with the ipad2 i dont use alot of data on the iphone so i can go with 2gb... just wondering how they would switch it and still keep my number on the iphone4 the same?

2. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

I'm no expert, but your voice plan is going to follow your sim card around. Your iPad's SIM card is set up strictly for data. You can't put it in your iPhone and make a call. You can use your iPad's data on your iPhone though. Your best bet would probably be to talk to AT&T and hope that they might let you transfer your unlimited plan over to your iPad account.

3. deeddawg macrumors 604

Phone number follows the SIM, so if you move it to your iPad your iPhone becomes an iPod touch for the duration and any callers go to voicemail.

Why would you not jailbreak and use MiWi or similar?

4. eyespii macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

So if I have an unlimited international data plan on my iPhone, can I swap it into the iPad and get unlimited international 3g data on the iPad?

5. dansto82 macrumors newbie

NO...from what I have heard on other sites. Att will cut/suspend your account and data access when you switch the SIM cards. The network know exactly what device you are using based on the IMEI number of the device.