How to switch the screen off and close the MacBook, while he system is still running?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by wallstreetcrash, Nov 15, 2008.

1. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

As title, what is the quickest way to make my screen go off (currently I put the brightness down), close the lid of my MacBook (alu model) while processes (e.g. video conversion) is still running?

Also anyway for the password to come up as well when you want to put the screen back on etc.

Thanks

2. bananabar macrumors regular

It won't do this - there are hacks to keep it running whilst the lid is closed but it can cause the MB to quickly overheat, so not recommended...

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Hook up an external monitor, keyboard, and mouse. That's the only way to use it in clamshell mode (that isn't a hack).

As far as the password thing, that's a setting somewhere in, well, settings. Not sure which one, but just hunt around. I think it's in either power management or screen saver.

4. kolax macrumors G3

I wouldn't recommend converting video with the lid shut.

But, since you asked, download InsomniaX and then set up a hot corner (I use the top left) in Expose (in System Preferences) to 'Sleep Display'

[​IMG]

Then, in Security (in System Preferences) make sure 'Require password to wake from sleep or screensaver' is enabled.

[​IMG]

However, your Mac will only ask for a password when your screensaver would come on (the screen will be blank though), so set it to a few minutes.

5. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

Im not 100% sure you can just close the lid and not have it go into sleep mode unless an external monitor was detected however you can press CTRL SHIFT EJECT(KEY) allat once to turn off the display as opposed to dimming the brightness.

6. wallstreetcrash thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

I think what I am going to do is setup top-left to put the screen to sleep, and put a screensaver for 3 minutes with password.

I won't be doing video converting really, mainly just running a few torrents. Leave the lid open or closed? Is open always better?

Thanks

7. kolax macrumors G3

I leave my lid shut when I'm downloading torrents, recording TV etc. Anything that isn't too CPU intensive, having the lid shut is fine.