How to switch very fast between two windows of the same application? e.g. quicktime

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Tony Tony, Nov 10, 2014.

1. Tony Tony macrumors newbie

Hi

I'm about to create a simple recall possibility for my audio hardware (knobs, faders ...) by layering two windows in quicktime and switching between them.
    By keep pressing the keys "command" plus a second key (on a swiss keyboard it is "><" which doesn't exist on US keyboards, but I'm sure the function itself exists on every mac) I'm able to switch between two windows in quicktime. One window is a photo of my gear the other is a live stream of a webcam.
    On my macbook air 2013 the switching is very fast at about 10 to 20 times a second. On my Mac Pro 4.1. the switching is much slower about 1 time a second. On the Mac Pro it's also possible to switch fast but to do this I have to press the key combination for every single window switch. So I think the reason for the slower switching time is not a hardware limitation of the Mac Pro.
    May someone knows of a possibility to change the settings in quicktime (not found) or on the OSX system settings to determine the rate of the window switching time?
    Both macs are on OSX 10.9.

thanks
    Tony

2. snorkelman macrumors 6502a

snorkelman

checked your keyboard key repeat settings?

I've just tried switching between two firefox windows on a MacPro 4.1 with Apple wireless keyboard

off and the first notch up in key repeat rate settings tend to do a single switch when I press CMD and ` on a UK keyboard (` is the key next to the left shift key on a UK keyboard)

One notch further and it loops through switching two firefox windows around once a second

fully moved to the right it actually switches so quickly that I end up with a bundle of them carry on once I let go of the keys

best settings on here seem to be one notch down from full on (as it doesnt buffer multiple switches after I let go of the keys)

that said Im trying with firefox rather than quicktime (which might impose demand sof its own when switching between QT windows)

3. Tony Tony, Nov 13, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

Tony Tony thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi Snorkelman

Yes it works! It has been the keyboard key repeat settings. Thanks a lot. You are my hero.
    I really hoped for such a simple solution.

best regards
    Tony Tony