Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jpma

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2009
I'm thinking of possibilities
please give me some ideas or suggest
(please ignore about the warranty voiding first)

currently I hold a late 09 15'' mbp glossy,
I'm thinking to buy a anti glare screen specifically for the correct model
and change the screen myself.
(ignoring the technical part, I know my way around, thanks for the consideration)

knowing most of the screen display part, but no idea does the body will fit well with the AG screen?
from the way it looks it is completely different, but internally is there any structural difference?

if I got my hand on one of the AG display,
will replacing it simply does the work?

buchhla

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2010
I installed one of the photodon AG films on my new 13" MBP and love it. The film for my laptop doesn't cover the whole screen glass though, just where the LCD is, so the bezel part of the screen is still glossy.

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
ignoring the technical part, I know my way around, thanks for the consideration

knowing most of the screen display part, but no idea does the body will fit well with the AG screen?
from the way it looks it is completely different, but internally is there any structural difference?
if I got my hand on one of the AG display,
will replacing it simply does the work?

Considering your second statement, your first statement kind of gets tossed out the window. You seem to have no idea how/if this will work so youll probably screw something up ha.

Anyways there is a company that will replace the screen to an AG for you, costs $200. I would go that route if you must. The name escapes me but somebody around here will probably know.

On that note. I hated my Glossy as well. Sold my 2.8 to get a new AG i7. Got one in AG and after actually owning one decided it wasn't for me and I finally realized how beautiful of a design the glossy screens are and came to appreciate them. Exchanged it for a glossy ha. But thats just me.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
I have a feeling CCFL backlit LCDs and LED backlit LCDs have slightly different power connectors or something? Might need to check that out..

kny3twalker

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2009
I think its techrestore.com that will change the display for $200. I doubt you could even buy the screen for that alone. The reason techrestore does it for only $200 is because they keep your old display. They also warranty their work for one year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.