How to Sync Dad's iPhone to MY COMPUTER?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Fazzl, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Fazzl macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

So my dad has an iPhone 3G. He backed up maybe once or twice on my mom's macbook pro a year ago. I want to back his phone up on my computer now because im going to sell it and get him an iPhone 4 so I need his contacts. How do I go about this? Because I have my own contacts in my address book which is synced to my google exchange. Thanks.

2. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

so i just backed it up. the sync contact tab is UNCHECKED. will this back up the contacts still so i can restore it from this back up on iphone 4 and have the contacts there?

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

If all you care about are the contacts, just backup the phone. Don't sync it. You should also look into syncing his contacts to gmail or funambol, so you have an alternate method to get the contacts if something goes wrong. :(

4. Fazzl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fazzl

I want to sync with google but I have to sync with address book first so I can sync with his gmail BUT my address book is already syncing with MY gmail account so I don't know what to do...

5. MiRod407 macrumors member

I think you might be able to take it to Apple or even an ATT store to have the contacts synced over. I don't know how your timeing of the sale will work out but this is one option. The other option is to make a new user name on your computer and sync to that username. I don't know how MACs work but on my laptop I made my wife a new username and we can share the same exact iTunes library but we have seperate bookmarks and contacts.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Create a new user account on your Mac for your dad.

7. Rajani Isa macrumors 65816

Rajani Isa

And if your dad doesn't have one, make him a gmail account and sync contacts with that account.