How to sync Draft email messages?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Apr 14, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I'd like to be able to start a draft email message in OS X Mail and be able to edit it further and send it in iOS Mail, and vice versa. How can I do this using Gmail or a different IMAP server?

2. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Oh btw if this is NOT possible, please also let me know. Thanks!

3. D.T. macrumors 604

D.T.

I just draft emails up in a text file, sync to Dropbox and it's available across all my devices.

4. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

Sorry but that's complicated. What if you have inline responses to another email?

There has to be a way to store drafts on IMAP servers and access them across OSX and iOS devices, no?

----------

Btw, does Mail syncing via iCloud do the job? Or what else would that be good for if I (and everybody else) already uses an IMAP account to sync their email across devices?

5. MJedi macrumors 6502a

MJedi

I don't know how it works with Gmail. With MobileMe (which uses IMAP), you would tap the existing MobileMe account, then Account, then Mail, and finally Advanced. Under Mailbox Behaviors, tap the Drafts Mailbox and you choose where you want the Drafts to be located.

I don't know what the exact steps are for Gmail, but hope this helps you look for a similar setting.

6. henhowc macrumors regular

Gmail IMAP is goofy because of the whole labeling thing. But as far a I can remember you can already do this. In OS X Mail you just need to make sure that Gmail/Drafts is set to be the folder OS X Mail is set to store Drafts.

Select Gmail/Drafts folder > Click Mailbox > Use this Mailbox for > Drafts

You'll probably need to do this for Gmail/Sent Mail too. Hopefully I got that right...

Just as a FYI...I use Google Sync for Gmail so that I can have push notifications...but you'll want to stay away from that as Drafts don't currently sync properly when using Google Sync.

7. henhowc macrumors regular

You also have to also do the above on the iOS Mail side it seems.