How to sync Google Calendar OTA w/ iPod Touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Eagle51389, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Eagle51389 macrumors member

2. Stratification macrumors regular

I just set up a NuevaSync account the other day. It really does work astoundingly well, both directions and in sync all the time. Made me a very happy iPod Touch user (yet again).

3. liferules macrumors member

Great walk-thru. Thanks! I'm in the process of trying it. Just what I was looking for!

4. Obama macrumors member

5. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

I'm glad I could help. Syncing my calendars like this has made my life infinitely easier.

6. chanatown macrumors member

7. YodaEXE macrumors member

8. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

wow this works instantaneously! I love it! Plus I just set up igoogle on my desktop so when I log on, everything I need is on my homepage!
    mail, weather, calender, top news, joke of the day, youtube! I love Google!!!

9. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

So you mean you set up ur igoogle to show up when you open up safari within the itouch or what? Or on the google mobile app? I'm asking cause I love google and am curios

10. laserfox macrumors 6502

laserfox

I'm sorry I meant igoogle on my desktop

11. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

desktop of the ipod touch right? that's cool...how is it? i'm curious as to what you mean, still not sure how it would look like or act.

:apple::apple::apple::apple:

Back to the thread topic, I just set up an account with NuevaSync and sync'd up my ipod touch!

Works great, only thing I'm wondering about now is...

How can I be sync'd up all the time in terms TOO w/ iCal on my Macbook?
    I'm glad my calendar will always be in sync within my iPod Touch and Gcal, but what about my iCal on the Mac? :]

EDIT: I got the Private Addresses from Gcal and added them to my iCal on my Mac. All my Gcal events seem to have transferred to my iCal, and set up iCal to check for updates within my calendars everyday...I can only assume my iCal will sync up with the same app on my ipod touch, right?
    But how can I get iCal on my Mac to sync back and forth to my Gcal? As you can see, i'm not the most knowledgable person regarding Gcal+iCal.

:]

12. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

@HappyDude20

Unfortunately, I'm a Windows user (for now) so I don't really have any experience with iCal. I'm gonna have to bump this to someone with more knowledge than me.

I do know that you can subscribe to the feed in a special way to get it to two way sync the data. You might also be able to set up the Nueva Sync account with iCal using the same settings as the iPod Touch.

13. Global2 macrumors newbie

14. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Hey Global, what's happening.

I used the very same site a few days back to set it up and works great! I tested it and is always in sync. So glad to have my iCal on my Mac or on my iPod Touch always in sync. Love it!

15. futoko Guest

Does no one worry about giving NuevaSync the password to their Google account? I would really like to sync my gcal to my iPod touch; gcal is the only calendar I use. But I worry too much about giving anyone or any business access to my Google account.

I've visited the NuevaSync website and read the privacy policy. It doesn't inspire a lot of confidence or leave me with a "safe" feeling. I don't know. Perhaps I'm paranoid.

Gmail syncs without using a third party. Why can't gcal? Argh.

16. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

I don't fully trust Nuevasync, but until I get a Mac and use iCal for this, Nuevasync is all I got. Anyone suggest anything better (and more secure) for those of us that use Windows?

17. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

Why don't you trust nuevasync? I'm genuinely curious..

I know, I kinda just signed up since everyone here stated it worked well and so far it's working like a charm. I'm even glad I managed to set up my MAIL to not retrieve Spam from my Gmail. Loving it! Life!

18. Impulses macrumors newbie

For me, it's not so much Nuevasync itself, as it is the amount of personal data that's tied to several Google services... And the amount that I rely on many of those services. I'd never trust my password with Nuevasync or anyone else. /shrug Not sure Google will ever develop a nice sync app (like they have for other phones) now that they're working on Android though...

But I use my cheap Sony phone calendar anyway, since I don't always have the iPod on me. :rolleyes:

19. futoko Guest

I basically agree with Impulses. I use gmail and gcal to run my life. I've got information in Google documents, too. If someone gets access, they may not get my SSN, complete financial account numbers, passwords, etc. But they will get a ton of information about where and with whom I do business, my spending patterns and habits, my contacts, where I will be at specific times, etc. Not to mention whatever I'm thinking and working on. That's too much for someone or some marketer to know. Also, there's the ability for someone to go in and change or delete all that info. If it were read only access, I'd be a lot more comfortable with it.

Of course, I'm sure there are people at Google that can access my entire account if they choose. And anyone that really wants to get in there will do so anyway.

NuevaSync's website didn't really give me the impression of a tightly run, professional, completely above-board outfit. At least not to the level that (I hope) Google is. Fact is, I'll probably succumb in a couple of months if I don't read about any problems from NuevaSync. The functionality is almost too good to pass up.

20. cholywell macrumors newbie

21. Global2 macrumors newbie

Hello there, Cholywell. If you sync your Mac to Google Calendar as provided for on that site, and if you sync your iPod Touch to Google Calendar with Nuevasync, you can ad or change calendar events on either the Touch or the Mac and it appears on the other. It work great. With this approach you do not syc the Touch and the Mac calendars to one another directly.
    Global2

22. Eagle51389 thread starter macrumors member

Someone posting on my article reported that Nueva Sync uses something called OAUTH to access Google Calendar data without having to have the password. I haven't done much research into it, but it makes me feel a little better.