iPhone How to sync Google Contacts to iPhone 3G on iOS 3.1.3

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by comatory, Mar 20, 2013.

1. comatory macrumors 6502a

comatory

Pretty obvious question. It seems that the older the phone gets, less functionality is there. I'm pretty pissed.

Here's how I used to do it: enable Microsoft Exchange. But that seems no longer to work, it revokes password (and yes I checked multiple times I'm putting the right password there) every time. I enabled 2-step verification on Google but that doesnt seem to help. I also tried putting SSL port (443) in Advanced tab but nothing works. I remember that this used to work because I used the phone 1 year ago to sync my mail, contacts and calendars flawlessly.

Using CardDAV doesnt work either because its supported only for iOS 5+ devices, it also gives me incorrect password error.

This totally sucks. Is there a way to do this, or an app? I saw some apps but they all require iOS 4+. I don't want to upgrade to this iOS, it's painfully slow.

Also, don't be an a$$ by telling me to purchase newer iPhone. I don't want to.

I guess I could sync the contacts by cable, but to make matters worse, it will be syncing with a PC on Windows 7 so I guess I need to use one of those weird Contact apps so iTunes can reach it, right?

Please help someone.

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I'm confused, you're complaining that the phone losses functionality because of its age and it upsets you, yet you don't want to upgrade to a newer phone?

3. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

Yes thats right I am. This feature worked on the phone for past 4 years,why do I have to lose it? It was there in the first place. How would you feel if you lost such a basic feature on your phone?

I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear it.

4. bigcstyle4 macrumors 6502

I may be misremembering this but doesn't setting it up using the built-in Gmail option in Settings give you the option to sync contacts and calendars too?

Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong! Just mail, calendar and notes

5. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Calendar only.

----------

Outlook.com email/contacts.

Convert. Many are. Free, and you can have a custom domain.

6. Baggio macrumors 6502

The only way you can use Microsoft Exchange with Gmail without forwarding or completely switching email providers is to upgrade your gmail to a business account and pay $5 a month.

Or you can move your contacts to another provider and just sync contacts. Either iCloud or outlook.com would work for that purpose.

7. comatory thread starter macrumors 6502a

comatory

iCloud is out of the question, not supported on this device. Outlook.com... maybe. But how would Outlook fix the syncing problem, wouldn't I have to use Exchange anyway? Or is this "incompatibility" only in Gmail?

You probably thought of syncing via USB cable.

8. Baggio macrumors 6502

Gmail stopped supporting it on free accounts. outlook.com is a Microsoft domain and supports exchange.

9. lilolbear macrumors newbie

Use Itunes. I just did for an old iPhone 3 with 3.1.3 on it and it sets up an ActiveSync account for you that magically works.

10. pirlouwi macrumors newbie

Hi,
    could you explain how I can use iTunes for this purpose?
    How is it setting up an activesync account for me?

11. chrisql macrumors newbie

me too,I know its more of a rant against Google. So if anyone has a solution for this I would be glad to hear it[​IMG]

12. reukiodo macrumors member

reukiodo

iOS 3 Google Sync Solution

This might be quite delayed, but in case anyone else finds this thread looking for a solution, I found it at http://iphone-contacts.blogspot.com/p/iphone-contacts-sync-with-gmail.html

Basically:
    Add Exchange mail account
    xxx@gmail.com
    no domain
    username/password
    NEXT
    wait for certificate error
    cancel
    m.google.com (Server)

And you do NOT need a business account to do this. I do not have a business account and just set working gmail sync up on an original iPhone (2G).