How to Sync iCal and Google Calendar?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by legaleye3000, May 25, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

I set up the syncing through CalDav but in iCal it creates a new calendar (which is the Google Calendar). Would I have to delete my original calendar called "Home" and just make the Google Calendar (in iCal) my main calendar? Does it do a good job of syncing both ways? Also, if I do this, does it also sync through MobileMe?

Thanks

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I keep it as a separate calendar. But the synching is almost instantaneous, and I have never had a problem with it.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is what I want to do:

My Google Calendar is blank right now. I have a bunch of things in iCal under only one calendar. I want my iCal calendar to be synced to Google Calendar and have only 1 calendar synced between the two.

Is this possible?

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Currently there is no way to sync any other calendars (in iCal) other than the Google Calendar that shows up in iCal. I would suggest you change your iCal calendar events to your Google Calendar (you can drag and drop events to change the calendar). Once that is done your iCal and Google Calendar will sync together, the syncing is very fast and very reliable.

I just set this up with my iCal about a week or two ago and it is working out very well.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

How about this: I export my iCal and into Google Calendar. Then, I'll delete my iCal calendar. Then bring Google's calendar into iCal through CalDav.

Once that is done I should be able to make changes in iCal or Google Calendar and it will 2 way sync, right? Also, can I choose to sync this new calendar with MobileMe as well?

Thanks

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You can export/import if you want, that is one way to do it. I haven't tried it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work out fine.

Then you can sync and life will be more awesome than it was yesterday when you didn't have this setup. Don't know about the MobileMe thing cause I don't have it, but I would imagine it will work out fine (cause MobileMe and iCal sync together right?).