How to sync iCal calendars across multiple computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cmm, Feb 14, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Other than using Google Calendar and adding the account in iCal, how can I sync calendars between various computers in iCal?

I want to be able to add entries to my calendar, and then other family members to see it inside their iCal application, and vice versa.

Are there any open source/free solutions that I can install on my Linux server to do this for me?

I would prefer not to use Google Calendar, but I will if I must.

2. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

I would use BusyCal. It is a great app and it allows sharing calendars. You can find it in the Mac Appstore or go to www.busymac.com

3. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just in case it was missed the first time:

I do not want to 1) pay for a solution and 2) I do not want my information going through a company. In other words, I want to own it and not share it with a company.

4. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

With Busycal you have to pay but you will own a copy. No cloud storage.

5. rcp27 macrumors regular

Personally I use google because it's easy and my frields use it too so it makes sharing our calendars easy.

iCal uses the CalDAV standard, and I'm pretty sure there are Linux CalDAV servers out there from the open source community that will do what you're looking for. A quick google suggests DAViCal (GPL Open Source, runs on Linux) should do the sort of thing you're after.

http://www.davical.org/

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much for answering my question, with a solution that meets my requirements.

petvas: I appreciate your input but it really was not what I was looking for. While some people may not want what I want, I would recommend telling those people about BusyMac/BusyCal in their threads, not in a thread that *specifically* asks for something I _do not_ want. That said, I do appreciate your input.

7. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

To be fair to petvas, there are many occasions where what people ask for and what they need are not the same thing, so it's not a bad idea to offer what might seem to them to be a better solution than what was actually requested. I agree in this case it doesn't seem to make sense, but I don't think petvas was out of line posting it. Glad you got a good solution, though.

jW

8. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Actually I thought that the OP needed sth that doesn't use cloud storage and that is why I posted about Busycal. The only problem is that Busycal costs money.

9. rcp27 macrumors regular

Also there are some people out there who may come across this thread when looking for a related but not quite identical solution, for whom Petvas' solution may be a better one than a Linux CalDAV server.