How to sync keyboard shortcuts?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by RMSko, Sep 17, 2014.

1. RMSko macrumors 6502

Under iOS 7, all shortcuts were synced across devices by turning "documents and data" sync to On in iCloud. Anyone know how this is done in iOS 8?

2. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

No idea but my shortcuts are lost on my phone after updating to iOS 8. Still on my Mac though.

3. Planey28 macrumors 6502

You'll need Yosemite as it uses iCloud drive now.

That said, it's not working for me, might be disabled in Yosemite right now. The weather widget and maps bookmarks are not syncing for me either.

4. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Update: I turned documents and data off, then back on, then restarted my phone. Now I have my shortcuts back.

5. Thoir macrumors member

I turned on iCloud Drive in iOS8GM and lost all my shortcuts.
    Couldn't sync it anymore. But I recreated them all (i Think). It's working again.

6. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what happened to me. I think if you don't upgrade to iCloud Drive (and I wouldn't if I had the choice again!), you can turn documents and data syncing off and on and restart and get it to work again. However, I don't see any documents and data syncing option when iCloud Drive is on. And what's worse, for me, when I restarted my phone after I created a new test shortcut, that shortcut disappeared. Also, the shortcuts are not syncing between my iPhone and iPad. Yeesh!

7. Thoir macrumors member

Oh, I only using one iOS device atm. And luckily I don't mind setting the iCloud Drive. Had nothing important going on there. I was kinda disappointed to loose all the shortcuts. But in the end I made better shortcuts. But these are those little things that makes iOS not as smooth as it was back in the days. With a little more testing and planning/ logistics, but iOS and its users are getting big. So you will have this. A faster update schedule would solve a lot.

8. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Apple has set up a new p/w for my iCloud account and is troubleshooting this. We'll see what happens. Kind of ridiculous that syncing across iOS devices that are both running iOS 8 isn't working. Anyone reading this - DON'T use iCloud Drive at this point.

9. Planey28 macrumors 6502

Please keep us posted on what happens; since I upgraded to Drive months ago I've been waiting to get keyboard shortcuts, map favourites, etc syncing again. None of it's working right now, maybe teething problems :(

10. RMSko thread starter macrumors 6502

Will do (assuming Apple figures it out).