How to sync on two macs so it works the same

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by michial, Oct 17, 2010.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

We have been syncing our iphones on our imac and now we have a macbook pro too. I did migration and transferred everything over to synch(at least I thought-same music, apps, etc) The record of back ups even show up on the mbp itunes. So when I went to sync the iphone it wants to remove all the folders I have set up. How can I sync my iphone on the new mbp without messing up all my work or organizing my apps. Is there a file I can transfer from the imac to the mbp?

THanks
    I just want the option to sync on either computer without having to manually re-create folders,etc. everytime I switch between computer syncs

thanks again

Mike

2. dissolve macrumors 6502a

You can't sync an iPhone (or iPod) to multiple computers. Unfortunately, you'll just have to pick one of your two to be your main one. You can keep music and stuff on both, but iPhone has to only sync to one.

3. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Hey, I'm new to the iPhone (got my 4 last week) and I activated it on my work computer where I have some music but I want to transfer music from my PowerMac at home where my main music library is.

I didn't realize that you could only sync an iPhone to one computer (unlike my iPod Classic which can sync from multiple computers on both Windows and Mac OS platforms). Is there a way I can migrate my iPhone to another computer now?

4. paddyhazard macrumors regular

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

The easiest way is going to be to resync it to your home computer. If you want music from your work computer, copy it to a USB drive or something similar and add it to your home library. There are workarounds as paddyhazard mentioned, but they're not the supported behavior of iTunes so you'll have to do some digging to figure out a solution that works for you.

6. cristovao macrumors 6502a

cristovao

Multiple iTunes Sync

Thanks Paddy...I think I'm going to try this method. Seeing as I never auto-sync and I download all my apps directly from my phone, I think I'll try this method.

I'll let you know how it works out!