How to sync to computer without cable?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BeeJee, May 6, 2014.

1. BeeJee macrumors 6502

So my 2 year old MacBook Pro decided that its USB ports should stop working, but I need to backup my phone because I sold it. I also need to be able to restore to the 5s that I bought so that will pose a problem as well. Im actually very disappointed in my Mac, and how such a simple thing can ruin my entire Apple experience. :mad::apple:

2. Shuri macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's a hardware defect and not a software one? (Installing something that may have broken your macs USB hub) Does it still power your device? (Your iPhone indicates it is being loaded but cannot connect to iTunes)

You can activate wifi synchronization. You have to do so on both; iTunes on the mac and in the settings of your phone. If activated, you can either force the backup or connect your iPhone to a power source and wait for it to start itself.

EDIT: Oh, just seen that Wifi sync already has to be activated, by connecting your iPhone with a cable.. :eek:

3. BeeJee thread starter macrumors 6502

No, there is no power coming at all from the USB ports. I've tried everything including a fresh install of Mavericks. It's honestly just a beat computer, and one I needed to last me for college.

----------

Yeah, makes it kind of pointless.

4. Shuri macrumors 6502

Well, I guess they want to make sure, you cannot sync with a false Computer, but yeah in your situation this is indeed pointless..

Well you could try to get a Thunderbolt USB hub, but I guess they are still rare and expensive.

What about the iCloud backup? But I don't know if the same data is stored as with the iTunes sync.