how to take care of a macintosh?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by spekulanten, Nov 4, 2011.

1. spekulanten macrumors member

spekulanten

i want to start a thread about how to take care of your macintosh because i haven't found any answers, searching.
    - it arrived with a leather shred, and from time to time i clean the screen with it
    - i use a the program CleanMyMac to clean system but i don't recommend because i don't know if its a good idea
    - i schedule it to go to sleep when its sure i dont use it, like nights during the weekdays and auto wake up in the morning
    - the cooler begin to make like a broken noise, so first i turned boinc from 100% to 20%, then uninstalled it completely, i also had to give up flurry screensaver, so the cooler doesn't have to roll at that high speed.
    - the dvd combo drive, at first didn't wrote anymore, and then didn't read. i bought a cd cleaner cd and used it. i succesfully wrote a dvd this week.
    - i organize my files using MuCommander, i use its directories, like My Documents, My Music, My Videos, Downloads. When i have files that i don't want to trash because i might need later i barry them in a folder with current day as a name.
    - i bought a large external hdd to keep at least 30 gb free on the mac hdd.
    I don't know what more to say.
    - i turned off in system things i don't use like bluetooth.
    - it crashed once and i sent it in service, i came back very nice and clean on the outside, now its dirty again, i have no idea how to clean it.
    - i dont use an antivirus.
    - i enabled Guest account so if anyone else wants to use it, be my guest. I dont know if for my account if i should have admin rights or standard? whould it work faster?
    - firewall is on.
    anyway, What have you done for yr mac to have a good and longer life?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You really don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space. It will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space.

One app that I would not recommend, based on the number of complaints that have been posted in this forum and elsewhere, is CleanMyMac. As an example: CleanMyMac cleaned too much.

Mac OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software.
    Admin is fine for your normal account. Some prefer to run as a standard user, but it's not necessary.

Helpful Information for Any Mac User

3. MacOCD macrumors regular

I just use onyx to clean out cache files and such, because I'm too lazy to do it manually. Best ways to ensure long life aren't really based on cleaned cache files, but hardware. Just keep your computer well ventilated, and please don't keep open drinks around them(seems many people spill liquids on their computers?).

4. brasiliangringo macrumors regular

My machine seems to takes care of itself when its not getting wet or dropped :

User error seems to be the biggest threat - someone spilt wine on a keyboard of an older MB but it kept going for a few months before 'burning out' the Power management chip. Amazing it took so long to happen..

I also foolishly dropped the same MB onto a tiled floor from a great height but only the screen broke which impressed me - the machines durability that is !!