Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franklebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Hi,
im looking for a program or a way of taking control of a mac.
i would be at home and the computer i would be working with would be at my job. i work for a print company and i would work with adobe cs4, quark and suitcase remotely.

first of all is this possible and if yes how to do it.
the company will pay for the software necessary to accomplish this so if anyone knows anything about this please post.
thanks

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
You won't be able to work remotely in any sort of useful way with the kind of applications you're talking about.

Remote working is fine for simple things, word processing, email, spreadsheets, coding. Graphic heavy stuff requiring high colour, and lots of full screen refreshes will be unbearable.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
It can be done and the software is included in os x to do it. However as mentioned above it will be very slow. It would be easier for them to give you a mbp with the right software installed and a dropbox account

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I used Photoshop and InDesign via the Back to My Mac feature of MobileMe just the other day. It was slow (in part because my internet connection was kind of slow) and a little annoying, but it was something that I had to get done and I was able to.

For everyday use, I would not recommend any sort of remote use. The best thing to do (as mentioned above) would be to have CS4 on another computer, work on it, then transfer the files via MobileMe or DropBox back to the work computer (or any server the work computer is connected to, if you're using MM).

franklebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
update on what we need to do

i have all the production software on my home computer

what would be even simpler would be to be able to access our production server remotely.
we use a g4 with an external hard drive which has all the files we need.

how could i access the g4's external hard drive from my house so that i dont have to upload the job files onto ftp then onto my home computer then back onto the ftp and then back to the hard drive???

thanks

calderone

Cancelled
Aug 28, 2009
You need to speak with your network administrator. There are a few options, some which may or may not be available to you.

VPN is one option. But without knowing more about your network situation it would be difficult to make useful suggestions.

If you have a network or IT admin, I would speak with him or her about what you would like to do.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
i have all the production software on my home computer

what would be even simpler would be to be able to access our production server remotely.
we use a g4 with an external hard drive which has all the files we need.

how could i access the g4's external hard drive from my house so that i dont have to upload the job files onto ftp then onto my home computer then back onto the ftp and then back to the hard drive???

thanks

FTP could work if it were set up better. But a VPN would make it just like you were on the office network, although it would be slower. Then you'd see the "shared folder" on your desktop. However I'm shur you can get the shared folder on the desktop with FTP too.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
You should just be able SSH into the server at work and copy the files over from it using scp or something. Failing that just connect using an SFTP client (not FTP) and you will be able to achieve the same goal.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Logmein.com has a free mac client that you can use to connect to your mac from work.

pcs are junk

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2009
try teamviewer, http://www.teamviewer.com, its very good i use it all the time! i love it. you can adjust the speed, the quality, everything, send messages to the remote computer, transfer files, it is truly great. i find it more suitable when your connect to a remote mac, as they are fast and the mouse doesnt flicker like on windows. you can control a pc from a mac, and a mac from a pc. download it, its free, and free for life. you need to get this, i rate this a 1m out of 10.

toxotis70

Suspended
Aug 22, 2007
athens, greece
I have teamviewr tooo, ita a very simple and quick programmm.
But i cant wake my remote mac if its on sleep mode.
Is there any solution for this ?

franklebel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
thanks

thank you everyone for being soo helpful.
unfortunately we do not have a IT dept where i work. we're only 20 employees. but i will look into sftp.
ill also check out teamviewer for sure.

thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.