How to take good care of the screen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sensamic, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Sensamic macrumors 68030

Hey everyone.

Just bought a 13 inch MacBook Air this friday. Love the machine. Wondering how to take good care of the screen for the long run. Seems to get dirty easily. Don't want any scratches or stuff like that.

Do you guys use a screen protector like on phones or just have the screen naked? Do you clean it every week or something like that? Any suggestions to make sure the screen stays perfect as long as possible?

Thanks!

2. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

I regularly clean the screen to keep it like anew. However, my screen now covers with several stripes coming from keyboard. I mean, I see a few lines on the screen, and parts of them looks very like the shape of a key on keyboard.

I guess you need a screen protector. Damage from keyboard is not negligible, nowadays.

PS: I use Macbook Air 11-inch.

3. ukpetey macrumors regular

ukpetey

4. niji macrumors 6502a

niji

i have had 3 macbook airs.
    the first two both developed marks on the screen from touching the keyboard. there is no way to remove them once they are there. i thought the 1st machine's screen markings might have been caused by my own usage. but the 2nd machine's screen developed the same problem in spite of being very careful with it.

on this current machine i don't have that problem at all. this to me is proof that its really apple's keyboard-screen tolerances that are not enough in the case of the MacBook air.

to clean the screen, i use Eizo display cleaner with the micro cloth that comes with it.
    this cleaner is designed for high grade optical glass (Eizo monitors...) and is really good for apple's LCD monitors.

5. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

I bought Staples brand, 12 X 12 microfiber cleaning cloths in a pack of 3 for about $5. Get one damp, wipe off your dark (sleeping or shutdown) screen, then wipe with dry. My 2011 MBA still looks great.

6. Sonnto macrumors member

Sonnto

I wipe mine down (the screen) almost every day. But nothing bad happens to it really. There's just some stain-looking marks on my screen or dust. I am super paranoid on small stuff like that. However, I do have a question for those saying there are marks... Do you guys use keyboard covers? Because I used to and because of how thin the Air is, it touches the screen and transfers oil marks from the keyboard covers to the screen itself. I have since removed it, though, I did enjoy having it on for silent typing. Now, though, I have a not-blocked speaker (since they're in the speakers) though I risk dust, debris, and water going through the cracks. Tradeoffs.

7. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I've done nothing special to protect or care for the screen on my 11" MBA. After three years, it still looks fine to me - I cannot see any marks from the keyboard. But I don't carry it around with me all that much these days, so that probably helps.