how to take snapshot

budaapple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
205
0
Ill.
Can anyone tell me how to take a page snapshot? Used to know but now have forgotten, please help.
Thanks
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,239
2
London, England
Apple+shift+3 takes a full screen snap shot.
Apple+shift+4 allows you to select an area to screen shot, you can also hit the space bar which will then allow you to select a window to screen shot.

Is that what you mean?
 

kwajaln

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2004
369
0
CHICAGO!
Or use Grab (in utilities) and then "capture". When I first switched to Macs, not that long ago, I found this easier than using the keyboard shortcuts because I could see exactly what my options were on the drop-down menu. I also like the "selection" option that enables you to drag your mouse over the exact area you want to take the screen shot of.
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
kwajaln said:
Or use Grab (in utilities) and then "capture". When I first switched to Macs, not that long ago, I found this easier than using the keyboard shortcuts because I could see exactly what my options were on the drop-down menu. I also like the "selection" option that enables you to drag your mouse over the exact area you want to take the screen shot of.
Speaking of this, why is it that there are Grab services to capture screen or window, in the services menu of every program, but they don't even work in Finder itself? :eek:
 

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
16,033
1
Portland, OR
From the horse's mouth...

mkrishnan said:
Speaking of this, why is it that there are Grab services to capture screen or window, in the services menu of every program, but they don't even work in Finder itself?
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75484

Apple KBase 75 said:
About Grab Services

Grab services are available in applications that support services and can accept the result of the service. In the case of the Grab service, TextEdit can use Grab when a document is open, since there is a place to put the resulting image. In the case of the Finder, it has no place to put the result without creating a new document, something a service is not able to do.
 

PickledSquirrel

macrumors regular
Dec 10, 2003
236
0
Aarhus, DK
edesignuk said:
Apple+shift+3 takes a full screen snap shot.
Apple+shift+4 allows you to select an area to screen shot, you can also hit the space bar which will then allow you to select a window to screen shot.

Is that what you mean?
Thanks :) still learning shortcuts and loving must of them

-Squirrel
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Thanks, Yellow! :) That explains a lot. I didn't realize Grab was different than using the keyboard shortcuts (which save a file to the desktop). Now I'm curious to see if Grab can save as JPG from the start, which would be useful in comparison to saving a PDF and converting it. Will check that for myself when I get home. :D
 

aus_dave

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2004
244
0
mkrishnan said:
Now I'm curious to see if Grab can save as JPG from the start, which would be useful in comparison to saving a PDF and converting it.
Grab captures in TIFF format, which IMHO is nicer to work with than PDFs in Photoshop. You can cut and paste direct from Grab to Photoshop.

The Apple+shift shortcuts are great for taking a screen shot for emails (good for showing disbelieving webmasters how bad their site renders on a Mac :p).
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
aus_dave said:
Grab captures in TIFF format, which IMHO is nicer to work with than PDFs in Photoshop. You can cut and paste direct from Grab to Photoshop.

The Apple+shift shortcuts are great for taking a screen shot for emails (good for showing disbelieving webmasters how bad their site renders on a Mac :p).
I was thinking of putting screendumps into photobucket to show y'alls. :) Unfortunately, photobucket does not take TIFFs. So either way, I must open it in a second app and edit it into a JPG or BMP or etc....
 

iLikeMyiMac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
898
1
St. Louis
edesignuk said:
Apple+shift+3 takes a full screen snap shot.
Apple+shift+4 allows you to select an area to screen shot, you can also hit the space bar which will then allow you to select a window to screen shot.

Is that what you mean?
If you don't want to have it save as a .pdf to your desktop you can press control in addition to the above key commands to copy the image to the clipboard.
 

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
938
0
Seattle
Someone should make a sticky with all of the shortcuts. I think it would be useful for all of the people new to OS X.
 

jsalzer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2004
607
0
SnapNDrag

Hey, try out SnapNDrag (freeware with some shareware additions that do special things - but you don't need those).

It's the best of both worlds. Shoot the screen, a window, or a selected part of the screen. Then drag the result from a "well" in SND's window to wherever you need it. No need to save a temporary pic on your desktop that you'll later have to clean up. If you want to save it, give it a name within the app and drag the shot from the well to wherever you want the pic file saved. It's beautifully done.
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.