How to take stackshots?

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
I'm trying to troubleshoot a frozen app with Apple tech support. Anyone know how to take a "stackshot" with iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2?

I tried pressing Home + Volume but it just keeps adjusting the volume and taking me back to the home screen.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I'm trying to troubleshoot a frozen app with Apple tech support. Anyone know how to take a "stackshot" with iPhone 6 running iOS 8.0.2?

I tried pressing Home + Volume but it just keeps adjusting the volume and taking me back to the home screen.
Screenshot?

Home button plus power button

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010

Press home and power/sleep button at the same time. Also, stackshot? lol :p

SundayDuffer

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2011
stackshots...press all the buttons there are on the phone simultaneously while sticking your tongue out.

screenshot... POWER+HOME

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
No, not a screenshot. A stackshot has more diagnostic info that a technician can analyze. It saves a file that can be retrieved when syncing with iTunes.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2014
No, not a screenshot. A stackshot has more diagnostic info that a technician can analyze. It saves a file that can be retrieved when syncing with iTunes.
This might help then -> http://www.cocoanetics.com/2013/07/taking-stackshots/

1. Reproduce the issue you’re reporting
2. Press the Home button on the touch screen face of the device and one of the volume buttons on the side of the device at the same time to create the stackshot file.

Note: Please press this button combination several times to capture multiple stackshots when the issue is occurring.

3. Sync your device with iTunes
4. Files starting with “stacks” in this format “stacks-yyyy-mm-dd-xxxxxx.log”, should appear after the sync is completed in a folder on your host computer like the ones listed below with today’s date in place of the yyyy-mm-dd portion of the strings below:

OS X:

~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/MobileDevice/<iPhone name>/stacks-yyyy-mm-dd-xxxxxx.log

Note: “~/” your user folder or /Users/[your_user_name_here]/Library/Logs/… not the root level /Library/Logs/… path

5. Attach the stackshot files that correspond with the dates of your button presses to the bug.
The article is from 2013 though so maybe apple has changed the home button+volume button activation method with iOS 8? :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.