How to Tame macOS Hot Corners Using Modifier Keys

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, May 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

In macOS, the Hot Corners feature turns each of the four corners of your screen into a designated action, allowing you to quickly access certain functions built into the system, such as Mission Control, Notification Center, the Screen Saver, and more. Many Mac users would agree, there's something satisfying about bringing up these commonly used functions with a simple, swift cursor movement.

[​IMG]

What isn't so satisfying, however, is accidentally triggering a Hot Corner, which can lead to all kinds of unintended desktop behavior - like application windows flying all over the place. This can happen when you lose track of the mouse cursor, or when you're working within the confines of a small MacBook screen. Thankfully, there's a way to tame wayward Hot Corners using modifier keys. Here's how.

Click here to read more...

Article Link: How to Tame macOS Hot Corners Using Modifier Keys

2. LinusR macrumors regular

LinusR

3. tarsins macrumors 6502a

tarsins

Superb tip. That's what I like about Macs: no matter how long you've been using them there's always something new to learn.

4. Scooz macrumors regular

Ah, great column. Always with small details I hadn‘t thought about. Today’s is a perfect example.

5. Sven11 Suspended

For a second I thought macOS Hot Corners would be the name of the next macOS version. lol

6. Naaaaak macrumors 6502

I don't know anyone who knew of this. Nice writeup.

7. martyjmclean macrumors regular

martyjmclean

8. Mascots macrumors 68000

Mascots

9. R10k macrumors member

Great tip! I know a crazy amount about the Mac but this is new!

10. dng macrumors newbie

Cool! Sounds like the feature isn’t very discoverable though. Maybe there should be text or footer somewhere about possibility of holding down modifiers

11. jacjustjac macrumors regular

jacjustjac

Wow, I thought I knew everything... how long has this been around?

12. mrgraff macrumors 6502a

mrgraff

I use hot corners all the time, but do get confused for a second when I forget and bump the mouse and things disappear. This tip is great!

13. ignatius345, May 24, 2018
    Last edited: May 24, 2018

ignatius345 macrumors 68000

[raises hand]

Generally in the Mac's UI, there are often alternate commands available when, aptly, you hold down the Option key. As a fun (for nerds anyway) experiment, click menus in whatever app you're using and hit Option, see what changes.

Here's Safari > Edit menu with and without Option pressed:

iMac 2018-05-24 at 2.11.21 PM.png iMac 2018-05-24 at 2.10.21 PM.png

Hot corners and screen edges are great for triggering things in a cursor-based interface because they're such an incredibly easy target to hit. This is one of the first things Apple did better than Windows, which always put your menu bar inside the window so you have to be way more careful with your cursor targeting. On the Mac, you just shove your cursor UP as much as you want and you know it'll stop on its own.

But yeah, it's a little too easy sometimes. What I really want is a tiny time delay for hot corners so they still work without extra key presses, but you're buffered against your cursor inadvertantly triggering something you don't want.

14. MacBH928 macrumors 68030

MacBH928

is there a way to temporary cancel the hotcorners, like a key combination or something similar

15. saqib1397 macrumors newbie

saqib1397

16. mingravity macrumors member

aah awesome tip. something i use all the time and bothered be many a time.