How to teach myself how to type properly? (keyboard oil issues)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andyACEcandy, Dec 25, 2013.

1. andyACEcandy macrumors 6502a

I type perfectly fine (and pretty fast over 100 words/minute) but my technique is a little unorthodox. I only use the left side of the space bar for example, so on all my laptops and keyboards, it ends up getting worn down and shiny/oily. I also only use the right shift key amongst other weird mannerisms.

So kind of a random question, but how did you teach yourself how to type properly? lol

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

stick to what you know. there isn't much to be gained by typing the "proper" way. besides, it won't help with your finger oil situation as you're supposed to use the same thumb for the space bar anyway.

3. Silverrune macrumors regular

I used a typing program and just forced myself to. You had to type properly in order to meet the words per minute.

4. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

I don’t know about the space bar, but you can force yourself to use the left shift key by disabling the right shift key. Then after a few hours, once you’ve built up the muscle memory for the left shift key, you can re-enable both and go along your merry way.

To disable (and later re-enable) the right shift key, use KeyboardRemap4MacBook, and follow the instructions here.

There are a lot of neat things your can do if you’re into remapping keys. Personally, I have my shift keys set so if I hold them down they act normally, but if I just tap them they type left and right parentheses ().

Also, I set my esc key to trigger caps lock (because it’s out of the way), I set my caps lock key to trigger esc when tapped and control when held (because it is super-easy to reach), and I set my control key to act as command-option-control (so I have quick access to custom shortcuts I make in System Preferences or BetterTouchTool).

I followed the instructions here and here (using PCKeyboardHack and KeyboardRemap4MacBook, but not Keyboard Maestro because I use BetterTouchTool.)

Also, I only just now noticed, thanks to this thread, that I also only use my left thumb on the space bar, so as I am typing this post I am doing my best to use only my right thumb on the space bar. It was a little unnerving at first, but I’m getting the hang of it now (though I did just use my left thumb out of habit a couple times in this paragraph.)

5. ducatiti macrumors 6502a

The thinnest keyboard protector should do the trick. I have tried several cheap ones to include the ones on ebay and amazon. Best one I have used is the the top case brand from amazon. Very thin and does not touch the screen. No need to spend $20 for a thin piece of keyboard protector.

6. princealyy macrumors regular

I would not worry about the oil on the keyboard, if it bothers you get a thing keyboard cover.
    Honestly all typist have their own methods of typing, it is not uncommon to see some oil markings on all keyboards (especially macs) ... I would not recommend to change your way of typing, if your wrist dont hurt, you are accurate and satisfied with your typing speed dont worry too much.

Good Luck.

7. raptor402 macrumors 6502

Hi,

I taught myself with a typing software and then sticking the technique despite the pathetic beginning speed.

As for the single sided spacebar use, you really shouldn't worry about it. It's generally agreed upon that only one thumb, either right or left, should be used for the spacebar. I use my right thumb and there's a shiny oval on the right half of my spacebar.

As for the shift key, it is recommended that you use the key on the opposite side of the key. I assumed this technique naturally while learning but I don't see anything wrong with sticking to a single shift key.

Regards
    Raptor

EDIT: Just to be clear, it is opined that a typist should decide which thumb to use for the spacebar while learning typing and then stick to it.