How to teach your wife to drive?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronchow, Dec 25, 2014.

1. aaronchow macrumors regular

Just wondering if anyone has successfully taught your wife to drive? My wife got her license 5 years ago but have never driven during these years. I tried to teach her to drive earlier, but I became too nervous so there was a lot of shouting back and forth. I'm wondering what experience others may have? Was there shouting between you and your partner? If not, how do you hold it?

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Send her to driving school. Sometimes this is the best thing. I taught my children how to drive and it is hard to bite your tongue at times, but you must remember they are inexperienced. You can not yell at that.

That only puts pressure on the situation and then she will not want to be in the car with you any more. We all have to learn by our mistakes. Maybe teach her when there is less traffic around. This will give you less to worry about, hence less reason to want to shout or argue.

She needs to learn in a calm environment. This is why I suggest maybe a driving school if you think you can not keep yourself calm for her.

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Let her walk home a few times. That should do it. ;)

In all seriousness, you can sign her up for a driving school or look for a local instructor.

4. Fzang macrumors 65816

Fzang

Repeat the kind of tests she had in driving school when she first took her license.

5. Happybunny macrumors 68000

Never ever try to teach any close member of your own family how to drive.:cool:

6. grandM macrumors 6502a

grandM

If you keep yelling you'll more likely achieve a divorce than a successful drive. When teaching any topic you must show patience and take it step by step.

7. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I took my wife out on a few lessons. It was always a bit stressful. I'd strongly recommend paying for an instructor.

8. Johnboy7701 macrumors member

Instructor would probably be your best bet. I'm a drivers instructor in the Army and have to teach people under the age of 21 how to drive semi-trucks or larger. I even have to teach them how to drive 48 wheeled vehicles. It is stressful and takes a special kind of person to teach. It's easier for me than in your case because the sense of listening with them is easier than possibly your wife listening to you. Teaching on a closed course or parking lot would probably be the best to start, that's how I start with my students.

9. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Another vote for sending her to driving school.

10. turtle777 macrumors 6502a

If you really love her, get her a chauffeur :cool: :p

-t

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

Another vote for Chauffeur. Your wife should not have to drive herself!

12. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Second vote for driving school. Your wife is irreplaceable.

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

And yet another - very strong - vote for driving school.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'd have voted for patience, respect and loving kindness ... but on second thought, driving school.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I honestly doubt that this would work in that particular context, much though I applaud the sentiment.

This is because, in addition to the 'normal' stresses, strains and misunderstandings of communication between spouses, (the old nonsense of 'Men are from Mars, Women from Venus' stuff) I have yet to meet a male who thinks he is anything other than naturally gifted behind the wheel, while a surprising number of males hold the view with equal conviction that women are, by definition, poor drivers, a definition they will cheerfully argue is reinforced by nature, ('how many women can parallel park - or reverse - properly?') inevitably poor drivers.

This setting (context, background) will make it almost impossible for a husband (who will believe himself naturally gifted in this department) - unless he is of a tranquil and blessedly patient disposition, and someone who is a gifted and natural teacher to boot, to instruct a wife (who he will think a wonderful mother, wife, life partner, but - by gendered definition - a lousy driver) in how to drive a motor-car without coming to grief.

The passionate love affair some men will have with the aforesaid motor-car (perhaps seeing it as an extension of themselves - and I'm not even alluding to Freud, here), may lead to a further source of tension as fears that it may suffer some slight injury (say, a scratch, or a dent) may offer an occasion which will give rise to further shouting.

As a former teacher, I can most assuredly tell you that a stressed environment is not especially conducive to learning.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Another vote for drivers education. That will definitely keep the peace in the family :)

17. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

18. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Your wife deserves to be carried in a roccoco sedan chair.