How to tell if 1.1.3 outta the box?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Johnny Backer, Feb 2, 2008.

1. Johnny Backer macrumors newbie

I'm going to take my 1.1.2 outta the box that I've had to reset 3 times in the first week back to the store.

How do I tell when I pick my replacement that the new one will be 1.1.3 and will have the app bundle with it? What should I look for on the box or in the S/N?

I've had it for only 1 week now, and I tried to even purchase the app bundle but Apple's site wouldn't ever give me anything. I was told to take my one I purchased a week ago back to get one that does have the apps.

Since I've had to reset it 3 times in the first week, I'm pretty much assuming that something else is wrong with it to.

Can somebody please let me know what I need to look for at the store when I make the return/switch?

Thank you.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

The 1.1.3's have a different model number, they end in /B rather than /A

3. swiftman macrumors newbie

yes the model number will end with a "/b"

however, that does not mean it is a new manufacture.

i bought a "b" version from apple.com and it got a week 38. it was hella screwy.

so i called them and they ended up sending me a week 5 2008... meaning it was manufactured just this past week.

the third digit of the serial number indicates year of manufacture... and 8 would mean 2008

and the 4th and 5th digits in the serial number indicate the week.

so in example ... XB712XXTWXN --- would be a 2007 week 12 build

so i would try to get the most recent "B" manufacture you can get by checking serials on the back of the box.

4. Johnny Backer thread starter macrumors newbie

What should I do if they only have /A models? I mean, I think the lockup problems are something wrong with my Touch so I would want a new one, but what then do I do as far as getting the apps?

Will Apple make them available for free on their website or will they be available again for the $20?

The app bundle is available for download for free (not from Apple) if I jailbreak, even if it's a 1.1.3 right?

Thanks for the help!

5. swiftman macrumors newbie

non app versions of the touch have been discounted $20

as in all remaining "A" versions are $20 less than normal

if you are paying either 399 of 299 at the apple store... it should be a b version with all the new apps.

i doubt the apple stores still have many a versions left... if they have the macbook air in... they have the b version in as well

or... you could just buy off apple.com. shipping is free and takes about 3 days. so you could just return yours to the store... and if they dont have what you are looking for... just place the order online.

6. Johnny Backer thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple won't get me my 16GB for $300 like I paid for at Target with adding a few discounts together. Target is holding their last iPod Touch for me until Monday, so I guess whatever it is, I'll be getting it.

My main question now is, If it's a "/A" model, how and where do I get the apps? I've tried going to Apple's site and when you try to purchase the apps it sends you in a circle of pages that direct towards one another. Has that been fixed so even if my replacement from Target is without the apps on it that I can still get the apps on Apple's site finally?

7. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You get the apps through iTunes. When you connect your iPod to iTunes it gives you the option of buying the apps.

8. Johnny Backer thread starter macrumors newbie

WHOOT!

Thanks for the help in this thread. The replace is a /B. Thanks for the info it helped in getting the replacement as they didn't even know what the difference was between /A and /B

If this one locks up though multiple times during the first week of having it like my /A did, I'm going to be pissed.

9. davidy macrumors 6502

davidy

my model number is MA623LL no /A or /B