How to tell if a text message is from someone with an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by slapple, Dec 27, 2014.

1. slapple macrumors 6502

I just received a text message on my iPhone. I have not yet opened the message, but I can see the first line. It is from a relative of mine.

Is there any way for me to tell if this text message was sent from an iPhone? I just don't want this person to know if I've read the message. If she has an iPhone, then it will tell her that I've read the message. But if she has some other phone, then she won't know if I read the message.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You cannot tell without opening the message and seeing if the text bubble is blue or green. You can turn off "Send Read Receipts" in Settings to disable sending read receipts then view the message.

3. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I'm reasonably sure you can't tell until you open the message and see if it's blue (iMessage from iOS device) or green (standard SMS). You can go into Settings>Messages and flip the switch for Send Read Receipts to off. That should allow you to open an iMessage and not have it shown as read.

4. slapple thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Why you're so scared if she knows that you read the message?

6. Paco II macrumors 65816

Responding purely to what the OP has shared, the correct answer is that there is no way. If the sender is using an iPhone but has iMessage disabled, the bubble will be green.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's an annoying aunt. Duh.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I have a few of those too:D
    Hey AJ when you're going to fix my computer?

Hey auntie, you messaged me last week you said? I never got it:D

9. RCRod83 macrumors regular

RCRod83

Create a new text message to her. It will tell you if it's going to go as an iMessage or text.

10. that be me macrumors 6502

One can turn off iMessage if they want to. All messages will then be sent as SMS, so relying on the bubble won't necessarily tell you if they have an iPhone or not.

11. IpadSC400 macrumors 6502a

IpadSC400

Blue colored bubbles are from iMessage/Apple products, green bubbles are from all other phones/devices. Just found this out last week...:(

12. Paco II macrumors 65816

To be clear, blue means iMessage, not specifically an Apple product. An Apple product sending an SMS, not iMessage, will show as green bubble.

13. MacHead84 macrumors 6502

MacHead84

I believe that the bubble turns only blue if it was send via imessage which only works with E/3G/LTE enabled, isn't it?
    So if the iPhone owner sends you the message without these feature enabled and just as a normal SMS than you also won't see if it is an iPhone.

Correct me if I am wrong.

:apple:

14. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

SMS works on a cellular connection.

iMessage works on a cellular data connection or a Wi-Fi connection.

15. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

Just man up. Just because someone send a message and you read it doesn't mean you have to drop whatever you are doing. Tell them to wait a few days and you'll get back to them when it is convenient for you. Simple.

16. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Just make it a habit to open all messages and respond whenever you want or not at all. People get used to that. Also let them know that you computer is open and iMessage is active and your texts show as read because of that most of the time. Worked for me.

17. tiartrop macrumors regular

Is your annoying aunt tech savvy?