How to tell if an imac or refurbished or new?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cameron08, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Cameron08 macrumors member

Hi,

I was wondering is there a number or some way to tell if an imac is refurbished. I purchased an imac from ebay brand new however it has the same specs has the refurbished I hope I didn't buy a refurb for the price of a new imac.

Thanks for any help!

-Cameron

2. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

There is no way to definitely tell one way or another. You can download the MacTracker application and using System Profiler, look at your specs (processor, model, etc). Then launch MacTracker and compare models. If your specs fall into the older models of the iMac, chances are it could be a refurb or just old stock that was never sold.

3. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

apple gives refurbs their own distinctive serial number sequence and you can tell from looking at the number if its a refurb....somebody else will have to tell you what the identifier in the serial number is tho since I don't remember (sorry!)

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this.

5. Cameron08 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your replies. I just wanted to stop by and tell you I appreciate your replies.

Today, I finally purchased a imac refurbished from Apples online store. 2.8 500gb hdd 2gb ram it should be here this week or the next. I canceled the one I bought from ebay and the refund is coming my way.

Thanks again!

-Cameron

6. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Cameron, why did you feel the need to start two threads on basically the same subject?

7. Cameron08 thread starter macrumors member

Only reason I can think of is they talk about 2 separate things. One talks about should I buy a refurb or new, one talks about how tot ell the difference if that's the thread your referring to. Mainly I started because I didn't want to get off topic also it will help others through search engines and on the forums there hasn't been a topic like this one.

Sorry for the confusion,
    Cameron