How to tell if iPhone 6 is unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dapork, Mar 29, 2017.

1. dapork macrumors regular

dapork

I just received a used iPhone 6 through Amazon, advertised as unlocked. I'm in the US but my SIM card is European, so I can't test it right now. Even if I cut it to fit the micro SIM slot, it won't work without the Greek service.

The cellular option in settings is grayed (because there is no SIM I'm guessing), so I can't check for an option called mobile/cellular data network.

When I go into General--About--Carrier is says Verizon. Does that mean it's locked with Verizon?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

If the phone is a postpaid phone, it is unlocked.

3. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

If it says Verizon then it's unlocked - period.

Verizon has an agreement with the FCC whereby all LTE capable Verizon devices are sold unlocked. Even if the device was not an original Verizon device then it's still unlocked. Because anyone bringing a device to Verizon from another carrier would have had to unlock it first.

So, all the way around - unlocked.

4. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

Aren't Verizon phones locked for overseas carriers though? I thought their deal was only for unlocked within the US. I could be wrong

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

A domestic unlock implies an international unlock as well.

How would it benefit Verizon to give customers a domestic unlock but not an international unlock?

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

They are just factory unlocked, meaning that it's domestic and international, essentially the same as a SIM-Free iPhone model.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only way to test it is to stick a sim inside.
    You dont know anyone around that has a cellphone? You just gotta stick their sim card inside for 1 minute.
    Even the Greek sim you have will work.
    If it activates and lets you in the home screen its unlocked. If it says sim not supported is NOT unlocked.