iPhone X How to tell if iphone X is fast-charging

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I have no idea as my Morphie charger has never made a single sound.

2. m0sher macrumors 6502

m0sher

It’s the phone that makes the ding sound when you place it on top.

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The phone makes it's usual "chime" sound when placed on the charger, the same sound you get when plugging it in.

The "ding" supposedly comes from the charger (see post number three in this thread). Some claimed it made a single ding when charging and a double ding when it was fast charging.

My Morphie charger plate from Apple never made a sound.

4. jimmygreenjame, Aug 10, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018

jimmygreenjame macrumors newbie

jimmygreenjame

Charger: original USB-C from Macbook Pro 13'
    Cable: original USB-C > lightning
    Phone: iPhone X

Just one dig (beep) and that's it. The same with regular iPhone charger.

[edited] i know, that i was wrong. My cable was fake.

5. kjpmi macrumors newbie

kjpmi

If it doesn’t beep or buzz twice then you don’t have a cable from Apple.
    Best guess is that you got the power supply online and they included an “original” cable with it for free.
    In fact when I search for that power supply that’s exactly what comes up.

The first cable I bought I was scammed. Told it was original Apple. It looked exactly the same. But it wasn’t.
    Apple has a built in microchip in the end of the cable which must be there for fast charging.
    That’s the only part of this that’s proprietary and must be Apple. The power supply is open source so it can be any brand.
    Mine is belkin I believe or something like that. It beeps twice. (And actually with the beta of iOS 12 it beeps three times. I’m guessing as a distinction between normal charging. FastER charging. And the fastest level).

6. Jimpilot macrumors 6502a

Jimpilot

How about the 10W wireless chargers, where do they fall in the above rankings.

7. jimmygreenjame macrumors newbie

jimmygreenjame

Guys, sorry, I was wrong. I bought fake Apple USB-C - lightning cable.

Today I bought another from official reseller and I hear twice ding and double vibration.

Fu... Scammers...

8. Martoony macrumors newbie

Martoony

I have an iPhone X with iPad Pro charger, with apple USBC to lightning wires I bought from Apple - Latest OS. I only get the double ding on occasion. Does the phone have to be below a certain percentage to fast charge?

9. Archer1778 macrumors member

Archer1778

Believe to get the double ding, phone has to below 80%? At least that’s how mine has been working...

10. johnalan macrumors 6502

johnalan

The "double ding" is gone since iOS 11.3.1 - it was a bug not a feature.

I have an 87watt MBP charger from Apple with official Apple Lighting to USB-C cable, I don't get a double ding on iOS 11.4 on an iPhone X

There is so much misinformation in this thread.

Not true anymore.

11. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

This twice ding is gone in the latest iOS beta 11. But on rare times it does ding twice. So something is buggy.

12. rtvanhook macrumors newbie

Really want to know? Get a meter. They're about $16 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/MakerHawk-Mu...pID=51ntOpOIZrL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Apps don't work--they simply do a little math after using the stopwatch to time the battery as it charge a percent or two.

About the "double beep": it happens at a "shift point" as charging slowly builds to full speed. Watching volts and amps in real-time, charging comes up to full speed at just about the same rate as a vehicle--and it even shifts gears! It starts at the standard USB voltage of 5V, and then "downshifts" to the the higher USB-PD voltages of 9 and 15 volts (I haven't yet seen 20...) as amps gradually increase.

The second beep--when it happens--is at a shift point. I suppose that some chargers...at some times...pause long enough that the phone thinks things are starting over. But even with my chargers that gave me a double-beep, it didn't happen every time.

The other thing that seems to confuse folks...and this is easy to see with a meter...is that the battery must be relatively depleted to see fast charging in action. The phone charges to a "soft landing" at 100%, and slows charging way down as it approaches fully charged. This is why Apple claims "up to 50 percent battery in 30 minutes" instead of "fully recharges in an hour".

13. koa macrumors 6502

This makes since since my Max doesn’t double beep when charging at about 80% full using Apple USBC charger and Apple cable. None of the three Max do.

14. xodbox macrumors newbie

Ditto! I'm trying to get the battery lower since I'm still on 75% and I just wanted to check if my lightning to USB-C cable and my 61w Macbook Pro power brick will get my Xs to fast charge.

Will check again later once I get the power down to below 50% and update you guys

15. scgf macrumors regular

I had a PD (Power Delivery) charger as specified for the Pixel devices and bought an Apple USB C cable. Charging is so fast! I forgot to charge my XS last night so it was down to 26%. I popped it on charge and 14 minutes later it was at 50%. No double-ding.