Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
As title says, looking for a way to tell her I'm no longer needing directions. I've tried end route, end navigation, close navigation / directions. Can't seem to find a way. Many prompts that she responds to as If they were music requests.

Slopfrog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Yes, this would be most helpful. Especially when the maps app chooses an undesirable route and you take a different one, (at least on the first part of the journey.) The maps app will sit and tell you to make a U-Turn at every single possible place you could, until the difference in distance/time is greater for the original route than your chosen route. Only then will it reroute effectively.

In other words, it's totally dumb when it comes to your intent. Other programs do it much better.

It's situations like these I just want to cancel the directions and start over when I get further towards the destination.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I just tried something, and found a little weirdness in the process. I asked Siri for "directions to Current Location" thinking that I would be told that I'm already there and that might stop the navigation. Instead, I got directions to a short series of u-turns to get me back to where I already was. :rolleyes:

Here's the weird part: I was given directions to "Unknown Location" and the zoomed-in map was the quick loop of roads to take, but the overview map showed my destination as 0°N/S, 0°E/W; where the Equator and Prime Meridian intersect in the Gulf of Guinea off the west coast of Africa. :eek:

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    481.9 KB · Views: 249

Slopfrog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I am just speculating, but I think the central issue is that Siri is not giving you directions. Siri just launches the map app with a little tidbit of info somehow passed along that says to give voice directions to a certain location. Since Siri does not have the functionality to close an app she can't make the navigation stop. Moreover, it appears that Siri cannot pass new information into an app that is already running.

The exception to this seems to be the music app. I wonder what's different about that app that allows Siri to control it once open.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
^
This makes sense and is probably the case. Which brings me to another issue, about how nice it would be if Siri could close apps, control phone settings like bluetooth, wifi, etc...
But that's an entire new post lol

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Ending navigation is just a simple tap on the 'End' button on the top left.

I know it's know what's being ask, but it's really not that big of a deal.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I am just speculating, but I think the central issue is that Siri is not giving you directions. Siri just launches the map app with a little tidbit of info somehow passed along that says to give voice directions to a certain location. Since Siri does not have the functionality to close an app she can't make the navigation stop. Moreover, it appears that Siri cannot pass new information into an app that is already running.

The exception to this seems to be the music app. I wonder what's different about that app that allows Siri to control it once open.

Siri can pass new information to open apps; you can request new directions while other directions are already in progress. Ending the navigation isn't the same as closing the Maps app.

F1 Fan

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
Germany
Here's the weird part: I was given directions to "Unknown Location" and the zoomed-in map was the quick loop of roads to take, but the overview map showed my destination as 0°N/S, 0°E/W; where the Equator and Prime Meridian intersect in the Gulf of Guinea off the west coast of Africa. :eek:

Same for me! Crazy :confused:

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
This was driving me crazy the other day as I asked for directions (while driving, using a bluetooth headset) and once I no longer needed the directions I just couldn't get Siri to cancel the navigation... seems like a bit of an oversight.

Hustler

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 31, 2010
Hyeteckit,
This is true but most of the time I turn navigation on, and put the phone to sleep. So now you have to swipe to unlock, tap the large green rectangle at the top of screen to get it out of active nav, then click the end button on top.
Kinda a lot of stuff while driving! Nothing like super complex but its now super simple either.

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
I found a way to do it! :cool:

While in navigation, activate Siri, ask for directions to another country - with the following criteria:
- has driving directions available
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-directions
- separated from you by an ocean or even to an island with no bridge, ie Hawaii
- or getting there requires crossing a country not covered by Apple directions

For instance, I was driving in Albuquerque, USA and said "Take me to China". Siri started getting directions to Beijing, but was unable to find directions between that city and my current location and then stop navigating.

I then restarted my local navigation and asked for a country that was not served by Apple directions such as Cameroon - Siri apologized for being unable to provide directions there, but did not stop the navigation.

So there you have it, start a new navigation sequence between two spots that Siri knows about but is unable to connect via roads, and the current navigation ends and the new one won't start. A bit of a hack perhaps, but it works for me until Apple gives us a stop navigating command.

Slopfrog

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
I found a way to do it! :cool:

While in navigation, activate Siri, ask for directions to another country - with the following criteria:
- has driving directions available
http://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/#maps-directions
- separated from you by an ocean or even to an island with no bridge, ie Hawaii
- or getting there requires crossing a country not covered by Apple directions

For instance, I was driving in Albuquerque, USA and said "Take me to China". Siri started getting directions to Beijing, but was unable to find directions between that city and my current location and then stop navigating.

I then restarted my local navigation and asked for a country that was not served by Apple directions such as Cameroon - Siri apologized for being unable to provide directions there, but did not stop the navigation.

So there you have it, start a new navigation sequence between two spots that Siri knows about but is unable to connect via roads, and the current navigation ends and the new one won't start. A bit of a hack perhaps, but it works for me until Apple gives us a stop navigating command.

Good thinking. I tried saying "give me directions to Atlanta" and it did. I then said "give me directions to china" and it did indeed stop my navigation... But asked for the passcode. I'm unsure if it stopped navigating immediately, or after I put in the code. I wasn't moving at the time so it's hard to tell.

We really, really need to be able to speak the passcode if we want to!

Last edited:

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK

Er, doesn't really work like that.

Siri does certain things with certain apps. One of these things might be giving directions, another playing the currently queued track. The only difference is that someone has given it enough thought to make Siri able to pause, skip, etc when listening to audio tracks, whereas - perhaps unsurprisingly - the same amount of time hasn't been invested with Maps :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.