how to tell weather iPhone is unjailbroken or not?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ndawon1, Jan 28, 2012.

1. ndawon1 macrumors newbie

So, about this time last week i decided to jailbreak my iphone 4 ios 5.01. being 15 most of my friends with iphones have it jailbroken. so after hours of youtube i found a way to do it and It was a success! i was really excited that i finally had a jailbroken iphone. However, i started to realize that it was not a big difference from before i jailbroken it. It started to run slow and glitch up. I also have read that jailbreaking you iphone voids your warranty with apple and i do not feel that its worth it. So i uninstalled every application that i have downloaded from cydia and uninstalled cydia its self. After i uninstalled cydia, i backed up my iphone and transfered all of my apps to my cpu. Then i restored my iphone and set it up from the previous backup i just made. Everything went perfectly! however i want to know if my iphone has actually been un-jailbroken being that i restored my iphone from a back up wear my phone was in a jailbroken state. and since i uninstalled cydia from my phone before i backed it up and restored it, there isnt any clear way to tell whether its still jailbroken or not. please if you understand anything i just said please help me lol. i do not want my warranty to continue being voided ! thanks!

please note: when i backed up my iphone it was already jailbroken! so did restoring my phone to a backup that came from a jailbroken phone, unjailbreak my iphone? or was it all for nothing?? help

2. kalex macrumors 65816

If you clicked restore button in itunes and let it do its thing u are not jailbroken anymore

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I feel pretty much like you in that I don't think jailbreaking is all that it's cracked up to be.

Most people around here will try to convince you that it's not the jailbreak that causes your phone to be buggy or slow down but rather the apps that you install from Cydia that do. That is true to a degree but jailbreaking does create some issues.

On my phone the battery stats don't work and it's not as smooth as it was before. This was before I installed any apps.

I also find that a lot of apps in Cydia are simply cr*p. I know there some decent apps but you have to be very careful.

The other thing that I think about is once you get used to certain apps and rely on them daily its going to suck when iOS 6 and the next iPhone come out and you again have to wait for a jailbreak and there's no guarantee that there will be a next jailbreak. Look how long this one took.

After plenty of thought I decided to just stick with my stock iPhone. This 4S happens to be my first one and I love it the way it is.

I just don't want to get so used to something and later have to go without.

And to answer your question, yes if you restore using iTunes it unjailbreaks your iPhone.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

weather |ˈweT͟Hər|
    noun
    the state of the atmosphere at a place and time as regards heat, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.

whether |ˈ(h)weT͟Hər|
    conjunction
    expressing a doubt or choice between alternatives: he seemed undecided whether to go or stay | it is still not clear whether or not he realizes.

5. Ksizzle9 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I don't see any slowdowns with any iPhone I've ever jailbroken. As far as your battery stats go, it is keeping them. When you have a **** app and your phone respings it loses your battery stats. There is no noticeable slow down at all. There are plenty of apps out there that are as polished as anything apple has made, or anything in the app store. Hell, most of iOS 5 comes from cydia. To name a few, the new way a message comes in(mobile notifier), wifi symc(called wifi sync in cydia), intelliscreen X, or lockinfo(notifications on lockscreen), he'll even cydia had the ability to make the original iPhone record.

Take zephyr for exampl. Great little app. Considering the problems that the iPhone 4 had with the home button, and who knows, maybe the 4S it's a huge thing to use gesture to change apps, multitask, and close them. This is something that is implemented great on iPad, but apple couldn't figure out how
    To do it on iPhone. The JB community did! Instead of using 4-5 fingers. Use one or two!! So simple.

I agree that JB can screw your phone up badly(or make it behave poorly) but that's why you take the time and do it right. If you read up, and be careful what you install, it will be no different
    Than any other app you install. Period.

6. ndawon1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes that was another concern too. i wanted to be able to upgrade to the new ios when it comes out without having to worry about my phone being jailbroken. I do believe that cydia slowed down my phone because after i uninstalled it my phone ran more smoothly. haha & interesting story.

7. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

I usually tell weather by looking outside, as my iPhone is often wrong...

8. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I didn't say all the apps were bad, I said a lot of the apps are bad and that happens to be true.

Please don't tell me that my battery stats are working. I think I know better having my phone is in my hand and I've charged it to 100% a number of times already.

You also can't make a blanket statement that jailbreaking does not affect performance. I have seen this with my own two eyes on my iPhone 4S. After jailbreaking and before adding any new apps, scrolling through settings the screen stuttered.

No two iPhones are exactly the same. Why do some apps work well on some phones while others cause issues for their owners.

Why is it that some iPhones have good battery life while others are terrible. If the phones are identical then every one should perform exactly the same. But that's not the case. You can find threads all around here about how people are having problems with some apps yet the replies say the app works great.

Same thing in the app store in the reviews. You see one star reviews where the primary complaint is a crash. Then you see five star reviews where there is no crash complaint.

Every phone is different and what works for you may not work for someone else.

It's also not fair to say that Apple "couldn't" figure out something like Zephyr. I tried it and didn't dig it all that much. I liked multiflow better. See? To each his own.

That's part of the issue, that people keep wanting more and more. It's not good enough how Apple did it, it "needs" this or that. So far as I can tell Apple's been doing quite well with their OS.

I choose to enjoy what I have without looking for things that aren't there. Do I come across something I would prefer to be implemented differently? Sure I do, but I don't let it rule my emotions. There are so many different solutions to almost every problem that it's not worth lamenting the missing function.

That's probably a whole other discussion so I'll just leave it at that.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

10. complexcommunic macrumors regular

Some people simply aren't smart enough to jailbreak their iPhone. That's fine. They're the same kind of people who use Internet Explorer on their PC simply because it's easier, or who buy a Mac just because they want to use iMovie. They make the world go 'round, and they keep Apple and the App store developers in a lot of money. There's really no sense in trying to convince people like this that Jailbreaking is problem-free, or trying to teach them how to do it properly. They won't understand, or they don't want to understand.

Anyway, OP, I respect your decision to use your iPhone just the way it is. Apple made a very elegant device and it works beautifully. I love the ability to customize mine with tweaks and settings and options and apps that I would have never been able to do otherwise, but it's not for everyone.

11. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

You're making too many assumptions here. I'm not going to post my resumé. All I'm going to say is that I know how to jailbreak and I happen to know what I'm doing. If my phone doesn't like it, it doesn't like it.

"Some people simply aren't smart enough"

That's a real crappy thing to say especially to someone you don't know. I may disagree with you but I certainly wouldn't insult you.

12. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

So... to answer the TS question:

Only if the backup was at a firmware that has no jb will it be clear to use as backup from restore.

The only way would be to restore as NEW and don't use the backups to have it vanilla again