Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
I'm ready to pick up a 23" ACD from my local Apple store now that the price has dropped and specs are up. My question is, if I go in this week how can I tell if the display I'm getting is the newer specs or if they are dumping existing stock? I called the store and they are clueless. They said prices are down but the specs are the same. I want to pay cash otherwise I would order online. What to do??

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
generik said:
Do they have newer specs? Just buy from the online store. Chances are it is the new one.

Yeah, specs are up and I woud buy online but I have cash in hand and live 10 min. from an Apple store.

killuminati

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2004
I'm pretty sure nothing changed but the price. The ACDs didn't get updated today or anything.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
generik said:
Do they have newer specs? Just buy from the online store. Chances are it is the new one.
Yeah, better contrast ratio and brightness.

To the OP: if you can (and since your local Apple store seems clueless), I'd go with the suggestion of buying online. It's a drag to have to wait for shipping, but I'd prefer that over getting an older model. I don't know how quickly the stores would have updated stock.. but I imagine there's probably still a good lot of older ones still out there since it's only just been silently released.

gootz

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
SF Bay Area
killuminati said:
I'm pretty sure nothing changed but the price. The ACDs didn't get updated today or anything.

The 20" display now has a brightness of 300 cd/m2 (up from 250 cd/m2), and the 23" display has a brightness of 400 cd/m2 (up from 270 cd/m2). Both models also now feature 700:1 contrast ratios (both up from 400:1). The 30" display remains at 400 cd/m2 and a 700:1 contrast ratio.

Obsidian6

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2006
Laguna Niguel, CA
im thinking of getting a second one myself.

however. i have an older spec'd 23" that's gonna bug the crap out of me i bet. ( even though they will have matched calibration profiles )

it currently is very distracting looking at the dell 24" then at the ACD 23" due to the inherent brightness and higher contrast of the dell.

..maybe i should get an older one ;) haha. I bet they will firesale them at applestores, ( i can use my employee discount on top )

reubs

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2006
gootz said:
I want to pay cash otherwise I would order online. What to do??

Go to the bank, pick up an AMEX gift card with that cash, BOOM!, order the cinema display online. Like whoa.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.