How to tell when our MBAs were manufactured?

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Mine isn't here yet, but I have the Serial Number in the invoice! :D

I'm trying to figure out when my MBA was built, specifically, what week. I know in years or models in the past, it goes something like this:
The first two characters are a code that indicates the factory where the computer was made. The third character is the build date year. It is only a single digit. The number five, for example, would indicate a build date year of 2005 unless the computer is obviously very old, in which case it would indicate 1995. The fourth and fifth characters in the serial number indicate the build date week of the computer. The number 49 would indicate that the computer was manufactured in the second week of December.
But my serial number is a bit different

How can I tell what week my MBA was built?

Last edited:

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Is the digit before the 5 a number? And if so is it 2? That'd be 25th week which is like mid June
no, it was a letter, like J. I'm thinking it could stand for June or July. But then 5? June week 5? There is no week 5 in june, unless it's the first weekend in July.

Confusing, oh well, I've dropped it. I did check the Service and Coverage Status with the serial number and it's warranty expires July 30 next year, which is kind of crappy cause they should give you a year AFTER it's delivered... :(

jj97101

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
Yeah I think they changed it, wanted to check mine but either it said that it was built in the 41st week of 2012 which is in October or the 4th week which is january and that seems very early especially seeing as I wasnt one of the first to buy an Air.

GREEN4U

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
the search bar in the top left corner of this site was able to decode my serial

says week 32 of 2012 for mine
Oh wow. That is quite a lot of information it spat out. But it got 2 things wrong; my computer couldn'tve been built Week 32 (aug 6-aug12) because it was delivered aug 6 and also the original OS says Lion, when it actually came with ML.

Last edited: