How to Tell Where Largest Files / Apps are

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rgraves, Aug 6, 2008.

1. rgraves macrumors newbie

I'm running out of hard drive space. Is there a good, free, application for Mac that can identify and nicely display what applications and files are taking up the most space on my machine?

I'm running OS X Leopard (10.5.4)

Thanks
    Rob

2. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

You could do a find in finder and tell it to search by size and define the size of files you want it to locate. There are tools out there that help you identify big files that you do not use. The names escape me at the moment though.

3. rgraves thread starter macrumors newbie

This option seemed the easiest however it's acting a little funny. I don't use saved searches much so maybe I'm doing something wrong.

To do a quick test, I clicked File - New Smart Folder in Finder. I selected it to find all files of type=Application and size>= 5MB and all it comes back with are two apps - Dreamweaver and Fireworks. That's not right.

After some fooling around, I was able to get a search to find all my documents that are larger than 20 MB. I saved the smart folder to Finder's sidebar. However, now when I click on it, it returns a handful of files that don't match my criteria of size>=20MB. I think it's returning all my documents. If I then click "Show Search Criteria", it runs the search properly.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong?

Rob

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I haven't played with smart folders, I was thinking a simple search to repeat as needed. I need to find that app that is supposed to clean stuff up for ya.