How to tell which MacBook is in the Apple Refurb Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pastrychef, Apr 9, 2008.

1. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

I'm trying to help a friend pick up a MacBook from the Apple Refurb store, but can't for the life of me decipher which one of them can support 4GB of RAM. How can I tell? Thanks in advance.

2. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

Click on the Learn More link and look at the memory specs.

3. vultureboy70 macrumors member

Hi, I believe only the Santa Rosas (previous generation, what I have) and the current Penryn support the 4GB RAM. Please note that there is currently an unresolved problem with Santa Rosa MacBooks with 4GB RAM and running the Apple DVD Player, this combination appears to be causing consistent kernel panics (grey screen of death). Good luck!

4. cazlar macrumors 6502

IIRC, 2.2 meant SR while 2.16 was the older Merom model that wasn't 4GB capable. It's a little harder on the lowest model though as I believe there was both SR and Merom 2.0 MBs, so you need to be careful at that speed. 2.1 and 2.4 are the current models of course and handle 4GB fine.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Yup, so anything on the refurb store that is 2.2, 2.4, or 2.1 (NOT 2.16) can take 4GB. The only one that might be confusing is the white 2.0 because there have been 3 white C2D macbooks clocked at 2.0. I don't think they still sell the pre-SR 2.0s on the refurb store any more, but you can click on "learn more" and see if the macbook you're looking at uses the GMA 950 graphics chipset (in which case it can't handle 4GB RAM) or the x3100 graphics chipset (in which case it can handle 4GB).

6. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

Thanks for the reply, guys!

One more question... Is the X3100 graphics available in both the Santa Rosa and Penryn models?

7. Igantius macrumors 65816

Yup - http://guides.macrumors.com/MacBook

8. pastrychef thread starter macrumors 601

pastrychef

9. Igantius macrumors 65816

A pleasure - and if I was wrong, it wasn't my fault! ;)