How to test a macbook w/ broken screen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by alorsondanse, Aug 18, 2010.

1. alorsondanse macrumors newbie

I just found a working macbook with a broken screen being sold for $60 on craigslist. I asked the seller for specs and she said she doesn't know the details except for the model # (which is A1181). It comes with no power adapter or software.

Is there any way I can I test the computer to know if it is worth buying when I get there? I want to make sure it is able to run properly before investing in a screen.

I have a 13" macbook. When I was at the apple store today, the employee was able to run diagnostics on my computer with his MBP without having to touch my computer. (Edit: There was a cord running between both computers, and my comp. was running, but everything was being done through his OS). Is there an easy way for me to do the same thing?

That is probably too time consuming and unrealistic, so any other suggestions for testing the computer are welcome.

2. UpQuark macrumors member

UpQuark

Do you have a power supply and cord for this laptop? Do you have the system software? And a screen will run you maybe $100 or more.

With out a power to the laptop, it will be improbable to test it correctly. However, if is is a macbook and you have a macbook, you might swap drives - to see if the drive boots. If it does, then you will need 2 power supplies.. one for your macbook and one for the 'new' one.

You can set the 'new' one as a "Target Disk" and boot from it to your laptop via a firewire 400/800 cable (depends on model) You will not be able to actually test all of the laptop without an external monitor... but Target disk mode will allow you to see if the Motherboard is ok - to a degree.

But without the externa monitor, it is a dicey endeavor to be sure.

Good luck!