how to test for a bad hd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fowler., Apr 14, 2008.

1. fowler. macrumors 6502a

fowler.

I have a feeling my hard drive is going. I'm getting the spinning beach ball quite often these days... and with 2 gigs of ram and a fairly recent fresh install (~6 months), it surely can't be either of those.

Is there any to test what's up with the hd? X-Bench?

2. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

You could try going into disk utilities>first aid, verifying the disk,if something shows up there's a repair option

3. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

There is also the possibility that you inadvertently installed to many startup apps and they are dominating your system resources.

To that end if you are running a PowerBook you should know that universal binaries are rather clunky.

4. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

Tech Tool

If you want to spent some money, try Tech Tool Pro. It is a great tool, and it will scan your HD and do a surface scan and read/write tests and then fix any problems on top of all the other stuff it does. It might have a demo version but I don't know.

See http://www.micromat.com/ for more information.

I'm in no way a partner with Micromat. I just bought the software and I really like it.

The Stig

5. steinlager macrumors regular

Are you running Leopard?

I'm not sure if this applies to Tiger as well, but try booting from the installation disc and select Disk Utility at the top. Do verify/repair disc and it'll tell you if you have problems. Worked for me when I had kernel panics during bootcamp partitioning.