How to Test for a Faulty Super Drive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brent0saurus, Apr 11, 2009.

1. brent0saurus macrumors regular

brent0saurus

My superdrive (pb g4 1.67 ghz NOT hi res) burns CDs fine, but it always seems to fail when burning DVDs in iDVD and Toast.
    I used to be able to burn data CDs in Finder just fine, but now that seems to not be working either, and i only have 1x and 2x options for speed, and i have an 8x burner.

to be fair, i've only tried this one batch of dvd-rs i've found, but i figure if they work for one application and not the other, they are probably okay, or am i wrong?(they used to work for burning data dvds in finder)

so what's going on?

thanks in advance!

EDIT: i just tried burning a different dvd i found (a maxell 8x dvd-r) and got this error code: error code 0x8002006D

So i tried a lens cleaner, tried again and it burned but got stuck on "closing session" for about 5 minutes before moving on to "verifying". not sure why that took so long. not normal, right?

also, still only have 1x and 2x options for burning with an 8x dvd r.....

2. TheScavenger macrumors regular

Try running AHT. Try using the SuperDrive from a different Mac via Target Disk Mode.

3. brent0saurus thread starter macrumors regular

brent0saurus

yeah i've been meaning to run the aht, i just need to find my disc. good idea on the target disc mode! i'll do that today.

sadly, i've found a lot of other people with the same issue (only being able to burn at 2x instead of 8x) and it seems like it's a manufacturing defect that apple refuses to acknowledge.

thanks!!