How to test for screen tint issues

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgiaach, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bgiaach macrumors member

So I just returned my 16gb iPad for a 32gb one (wanted more space) and I think I'm seeing a tint difference between this one and my first new iPad. Mainly it seems like the bottom left potion of the screen is more yellow than the rest of the screen. I could just be reading too many of these complaint threads so I might be buying into the whole OCD hype, but does anyone have any test or something I can use on my iPad to see if the screen is actually messed up.

I did the pixel test and no problems there. But I need something for color or hue.

2. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

The vertical/horizontal tint is always going to be there. It's a factor in the LCD tech. To how much degree you're willing to put up with it is the question.

The problem is most people mount TV's straight on at a viewing angle that is satisfactory to them. Then they don't notice.

Mobile devices are used from much broader viewing angles, which is what people are noticing now.

3. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

My original iPad does not change color when the screen is tilted. It just goes a bit dimmer but does not change tint. The new iPad actually changes color when tilted.

4. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

And how many Pixels does your iPad have?

The more pixels, the more of a tint problem.

5. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Load a completely black image and it look at it from the left/right sides of the screen. Mine looks pink when I look at it from the left. :(

6. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I think that the best way to test your iPad is to use it as you normally would and if there's an unusual issue that bothers you, then talk to an Apple Store person about it.

It's only after about a week of use that I started to realize how much the screen tint differs on the right side and left of the screen when in portrait mode (or, top and bottom in landscape, duh).

It's not something I was looking for, but it's become more noticable when viewing ebooks or web pages (such as this forum) that are largely white.

I'm still not sure if this is something to attempt an exchange over -- but it might be as it's paired with the single dead pixel that I didn't think warranted a return by itself either. I'm waiting to get an idea of just how common this is and if it really could have a good enough chance of having a more consistent screen tint on any replacement.

7. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Normal. You're talking about a wide viewing angle right?

8. seadragon Contributor

seadragon

I hope this doesn't become like the camera megapixel race. Cram more pixels in but sacrifice qualities elsewhere. I wonder if the iPad will eventually use OLED screens.

9. Nikos macrumors 68000

Nikos

Not too wide. From the top right, it appears green. From every other angle, pink. It's very apparent.

10. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

Well my iPad 2 which was 'perfect' also showed pink tint/green tint when viewed from angles in a dark room with a pitch black screen.

I believe it's the limits of the technology.

11. bgiaach thread starter macrumors member

Yes I'm talking about just holding it in regular portait mode not horizontal. It's noticeable when I'm on this forum because the site is mainly white. But it just seems like when I hold it at reading distance, there is a yellow tint to the left side of the screen and on the right side it's much whiter. As this just the angle I'm holding it because I dont think I saw this with my first 3rd gen iPad.

Perhaps its the glue thing that people have mentioned from time to time.

I guess I could always wait a week and see if it goes away. It's such a negligible difference I feel like I'm reading to much of this forum haha.

12. Binarymix macrumors 6502a

You'll always notice a slight shift in colour. My iMac is horrible unless viewed from ~ 1' away. I went through 3 before I settled.

13. sinser macrumors 6502a

sinser

Same thing as mine. Turns pink on complete dark image on left side when tilted. No idea if that's normal and just a technology limit.

14. Ipadfever macrumors 6502

Ipadfever

They all do that even my computer LCD screen does it as well, that is just the way the technology is and it's an HP.

15. cfs macrumors 6502a

My wife and I both have teh new iPad. Her iPad has a clear screen protector and mine doesn't. We noticed that when tilting hers it keeps the color pretty much the same and when tilting mine there is a color change. Not sure if this has to do with the screen protector or not as we never tested ot our without it becxause either way it doesn't bother us.

Just thought it was interesting.

cfs

----------

Mine is the exact same, the bottom is a yellow tint and the mid screen is whiter. It's pretty apparent when reading with white background but when reading I'm not focused on it. Other than that I don't look for it.

16. ZipZap macrumors 601

Use the while background from this thread ---> Click Me