How to test force touch when powered down?

ryanthiswayyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
So I found out that the trackpad will not click if the machine if powered down. But, when I power down my laptop, it powers back up if I click the trackpad (which clicks). How do I power it down and prevent it from powering back up?

I've tried both force shutting down using touch ID power button and using the apple menu

tjedora

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2017
The later MBPs do power up on every key stroke - probably also on clicking the trackpad?

fokmik

macrumors 601
Oct 28, 2016
USA
Yes, or i think you can place a command into the terminal but the saltiest is to let the battery gets empty . But again this i don't recommend to do often...maybe 1-2 times/month

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
So I found out that the trackpad will not click if the machine if powered down. But, when I power down my laptop, it powers back up if I click the trackpad (which clicks). How do I power it down and prevent it from powering back up?

I've tried both force shutting down using touch ID power button and using the apple menu
When you leave your MBPro, just close the lid. That way, you don't accidentally touch the mouse pad - and you have the great advantage of waking your MBPro just by opening the lid. No clicking on the trackpad needed.
What more could you need? :cool:

ryanthiswayyy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2019
What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You asked how to stop the machine from turning on when you touch a switch that turns it on. That's counterintuitive.
Was just testing out the touchpad because i fear mine might be faulty. I thought that the haptic feedback was not supposed to work with no power but I still got "clicking" when mine went down

DeltaMac

macrumors G3
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If your trackpad still clicks/haptic feedback, then power is not off. The trackpad does not have any kind of mechanical response when power is off. If you feel clicking, and you get haptic feedback, then you don't have the power off. It's that simple.

chabig

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Mine 2019 trackpad clicks when shutdown so. Since clicking the trackpad causes the machine to start up, the haptic engine and trackpad must remain powered or else it wouldn’t work to start the computer. Don’t go looking for problems where none exist, I guess.