iPad mini How to test rMini for image retention issue

Discussion in 'iPad' started by 158273, Nov 15, 2013.

1. 158273 macrumors regular

Marco Arment provides a tool that shows a checkerboard image for a few minutes, then switches to a solid gray.

If you still see the squares from the first image in the solid gray wallpaper, then that means there is an image retention issue.

You likely won't notice it in actual usage nor will it cause any real problems, but if you absolutely need to know whether your batch was screwed over by Sharp, in case you want to return or exchange your rMini for another batch, this is the way to do it.

Direct link to the checkerboard page

Explanation for the checkerboard page

2. PeterKG macrumors 6502

So I've run this and had a checkerboard pattern (retention) that quickly went away. So I guess I don't have image retention, nor would I ever use my mini in a way that I would get any permanent retention.

3. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

Ok, I couldn't help myself and bit on this 'new' test. I ran the test for three minutes and there was zero image retention on my rMini. However my retina's didn't fare so well and I'm seeing a faint checkered pattern everywhere I look.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

eyeballgate

5. nospleen macrumors 68020

nospleen

You're looking at it wrong...:D

6. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Tried this on original ipad mini.. Retention 3/4 of an inch around edges after 40 seconds, but it faded away in about the same.

7. Quantus macrumors regular

Agree. Charliebird should immediately retain a personal injury attorney and settle for no less than upper six figures. :D

8. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

After all, the disclaimer only states he wouldn't be responsible for damage to the device, he never mentioned the eyes.