How to test the condition of a display?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jardins de Vin, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jardins de Vin macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

I bought a used 27" LED Cinema Display. I'm very happy with it, everything seems to work.

I was just wondering if there's any ways (apps maybe) to test the condition of the display. A bit like the Apple Hardware test if you see what I mean.

Something I missed might show up, so it's better to find out now after I just got it, than 3 months later when it's too late.

I know that there's an app that finds dead pixels – but is there anything other than that?

Best regards

2. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I've always used "PiXel Check"
    URL from MacUpdate: PiXel Check

Keep in mind most modern monitors/notebooks typically have up to 5-8 dead/stuck pixels which still fall into "perfect" by most common standards unless they're all clumped together and then you may have a flaw/damaged panel.

3. Jardins de Vin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jardins de Vin

Cool, seems like I have no dead pixels :) But then again, would you notice if there was a dead pixel at all? They're so small and the resolution on the 27" is quite high. But I haven't seen any at least.

Is there any other testing apps like this, for other purposes? Like for testing the power of the LEDs and dark spots or something?

What else could be wrong with a display that I should check?

4. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Most? I've rarely ever seen a dead or stuck pixel. I've got 11 different LCD screens in the house only one has a stuck pixel. It is also almost ten years old. It's also extremely rare for me to see one on a customers screen.

5. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

I'm going by store return policy requirements with the bigger online stores, if you have an issue with that take it up with those places and not me. I mainly buy monitors at BJs/Costco as they don't have a silly policy as other big box/online stores.

Ten years ago getting a perfect monitor/notebook was common, read Amazon/NewEgg/Tiger Direct terms & conditions when buying monitors which notes what they consider "normal". Unless you enjoy getting hit by a restocking fee, you need to carefully choose which place you shop at.

6. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

Yep I think you're right. Some time ago I asked an Apple service center about dead pixels on mac laptops or displays. The guy said, if it's only 1 or 2 dead pixels, Apple will not accept it for warranty claims. He mentioned, that the Mac unit must at least have 5 dead pixels to qualify. I could not recall if 5 dead pixels is the minimum though.