How to Test Yoru laptop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jmouse, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Jmouse macrumors 6502

Hello,

I would like to know if there re ways on checking your new laptop regarding Dead pixel, battery , hardware, internet and so on so forth.

Thanks.

2. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

I would suppose just use it???? I think thats the only way to find out if it works... :confused:

3. kushed macrumors regular

About My Mac.. lol.
    dead pixel.. load up a black screen. any dead pixels will appear red.

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Nope.

5. Jmouse thread starter macrumors 6502

Then what?

6. /user/me macrumors 6502

USE the machine.....

7. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you want to check for dead pixels, put up an all white screen. You'll know if they're there. As for the rest, just use it.

8. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

This is an interesting question. There are tons of "checklists" for the iPhone 4, is there any for MBPs around MR?

9. grahamnp, Mar 18, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2011

grahamnp macrumors 6502a

To add on to your very helpful reply, cycling through images of green, red, blue and white will reveal any problems. Stuck pixels will be fixed on one of the RGB colours and dead pixels will be black.

10. AmmunitionRecs macrumors newbie

To add on to that as well, here is a "Dead Pixel Checker" made for checking just that. Cycles through different screen colors automatically.

http://download.cnet.com/Pixel-Tester/3000-2094_4-10110615.html

11. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

I was thinking about how some of the new MBPs were faulty in not displaying images correctly when hooked up to cinema displays.

Not many have a CD to try that out, perhaps many have faulty laptops and do not know it.

Then again if they don't use a CD in the first place, can it be considered a fault? :rolleyes:

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just use your Mac as you normally would. There is no need to do special testing of any kind. If something fails under normal use, that's what the warranty is for.

13. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

What if you happen to need a feature of your laptop after the 1-year warranty and discover that it's faulty?

I think that spending 20 minutes to ascertain a laptop's flawlessness is worth for some.

14. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Not if it makes you go bat-crap insane like it does to many people here.

15. Tears Apart macrumors 6502a

Tears Apart

True that, in my opinion once you perform your check once you're good to go.

When I got my iPhone 4 I did the "checklist" offered in this forum and since then I didn't think about it anymore.

I would like to do the same with the 17'' mbp I am about to receive, but I guess I can't find an Apple Cinema Display anywhere to try :)

16. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Can't think of anything hardware-related that you wouldn't notice within a year. If there was anything, it would be a faulty port, which you can't test with software.

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you haven't used a hardware component of your Mac in a year's time, it's highly unlikely that you ever would. If you want longer coverage, buy AppleCare.
    I can save you that 20 minutes. I can personally guarantee that your Mac is NOT flawless. None are. However, if someone wants to obsess about testing, that's their choice. If you ask experienced Mac users, the vast majority will tell you there's no need for testing, beyond normal use.

18. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Beginner :
    pixel check app for the display
    Coconut battery or about this Mac for the battery (compare against standards)

Mid level:
    Diglloyd mem and disk disk stress tests ($$)
    Tech tool 5 (available on sale)
    Apple hardware test

Pro level:
    Apple Service Diagnostic
    Apple's NetBoot diagnostics (I've seen it in use at the genius bar; it tests more than the machine; can do MagSafe and other diagnostics as well).

Supreme Status :
    Repair manual for your selected model plus the above service diagnostic.

I'll go on to tell you that with a little googl'in you find whatever your little hearts desire...............

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20. /user/me macrumors 6502

Shhh..You're not supposed to know that..;)

21. AmmunitionRecs macrumors newbie

Oh whoops! Didn't mean to link to the paid version, good catch! I just used a free version of the same style software, sorry bout that :p

22. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

well what i did was i opened my like 6th or 7th macbook (long story, not all the same models, not all broken, exchanges etc) in the apple store, i first cycled through all the solid colour desktop backgrounds to look for dead pixels (two machines had them), then i used the apple store wifi to upgrade the machine, rebooted, installed iStat and kept an eye on temperatures while i played around on it

the MBP i got now is, in my view and to my level of satisfaction, flawless. it idles at about 35-40 on OS X, 45-50 on windows 7 while just browsing the internet and word processing in both instances.

it's not impossible to check it before you leave the store, ways and means and all that.