Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bayan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
I am trying to upgrade my iPad to 5.0 but iTunes is asking me if I want to upgrade it to 5.1. I'm developing an application on xCode 4.2.1 and iOS 5.0 and now I want to test it on a real iPad not a simulator. Is there any other way where I can specify the version I'd like to upgrade to?

Thanks in advance.

Bayan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Because when connect my 4.3 or 5.1 iPad to xCode it gives me this message "Xcode cannot run using the selected device. No provisioned iOS devices are available with a compatible iOS version. Connect an iOS device with a recent enough version of iOS to run your application or choose an iOS simulator as the destination."

Also, in the Devices section, this is what's under my 5.1 iPad:
The version of iOS on “Bayan's iPad” does not match any of the versions of iOS supported for development with this installation of the iOS SDK. Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below, or update to the latest version of the iOS SDK; which is available here.

OS Installed on Bayan’s iPad
5.1 (9B176)

Xcode Supported iOS Versions
Latest
5.0 (9A334)

cMacSW

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2006
I went through this recently, had to upgrade to latest xcode which required Lion.

Bayan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2012
Your replies are greatly appreciated.
But wouldn't that affect my code? Would I need to do some changes to it? I'm using xCode 4.2.1
For example, xCode 3 is way different than xCode 4 when it comes to memory management.

Have any of you guys heard about Tiny Umbrella which is a handy tool with which one can update to iOS 5.1 but can go back to iOS 4, downgrading to previous firmware version?

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
What version of OS X are you running and do you have Lion capable machine? If you can run Xcode 4.3, that is the 'easy' fix for you.

I'm stuck at using Xcode 4.2 and Apple hasn't released the iOS 5.1 SDK for it. I did a hack to force it to work that I found via web searching. Not sure it is 100%.

Apparently there was a way to upgrade to intermediate version by command or control or option clicking on the iTunes upgrade button. Sorry I can't remember the details. You first download the 5.0.1 image file for your particular device. The problem is that several people have said the Apple isn't signing for 5.0.1 any more, so iTunes should fail to do the upgrade. I learned of this too late and got ****ed over upgrading my iPod to 5.1. Besides the SDK problem issues, 5.1 has these serious long weird stalls.

The biggest BS line Apple has is "Please restore the device to a version of the OS listed below". They don't let you downgrade!

This is a sensitive subject with me. I also learned that Xcode 3.2.6 does download the 5.1 SDK! So, why the hell does Apple insist on not supporting Xcode 4.2!

As far as I'm concerned, Apple should allow developers to swap out their devices to any iOS version the device supports. Hell, given my weird 5.1 stall issue, regular consumers should have the option!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.