Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
Just a looking for a quick overview on how the Dual GPU work int he 6,1 Mac pros.

I picked up a 2013 for ***** and giggles and have never had a computer with dual GPU.

Do they just share the computing tasks equally? 1 powers half the screen while the other powers the other half? One does all teh work and teh other picks up the slack when needed? Only 1 works unless using a program optomized to use both?

Thanks in advance.

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
Just a looking for a quick overview on how the Dual GPU work int he 6,1 Mac pros.

I picked up a 2013 for ***** and giggles and have never had a computer with dual GPU.

Do they just share the computing tasks equally? 1 powers half the screen while the other powers the other half? One does all teh work and teh other picks up the slack when needed? Only 1 works unless using a program optomized to use both?

Thanks in advance.

IIRC 1 is responsible for all display drawing, the other is a compute accelerator for apps that support multi-gpu.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
IIRC 1 is responsible for all display drawing, the other is a compute accelerator for apps that support multi-gpu.
So in most cases just the one does all the work and the other sits idle?

mattspace

macrumors 68040
Jun 5, 2013
Australia
So in most cases just the one does all the work and the other sits idle?

Assuming the system doesn't assign non-display duties to the compute card preferentially, the other side effect is that the maximum supported displays for the system are those of only one of the cards.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
Yeah one for display and one for compute if the app supports it. Same goes for dual GPUs in the 7,1 or any other Mac I guess. Crossfire is possible in Windows.

I haven’t tested it myself with two monitors, but the diagram shows all 6 DP ports are connected to graphics board B and the HDMI port is connected to graphics board A. However, the HDMI port only supports 30Hz at 4K rather than 60Hz like the DP ports.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
So basically there is no need for 2 cards in these things?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
It's a dual-GPU configuration.
Why would you conclude that means the system will function without both of the cards.
Which card will you remove? (I'll sit here with my popcorn

Flint Ironstag

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2013
Houston, TX USA
There is a thread here where the guy is reverse engineering the MP 6,1 motherboard. He ran it without the compute GPU for a while. Not sure if he attempted it with both removed. Wouldn’t surprise me if he got it to work. Some clever folks around here.

ek9max

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 22, 2011
It's a dual-GPU configuration.
Why would you conclude that means the system will function without both of the cards.
Which card will you remove? (I'll sit here with my popcorn
How's your popcorn? Salty I'm sure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.