How to tighten the slop in the hinge? NOT THE NORMAL HINGE PROBLEM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JosephBergdoll, Jan 7, 2010.

1. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

My hinge problem is much like that of the MacBook Air. I have a good 3/4" of play in my screen before the hinge engages in movement. My 1 year Apple warranty ended last week and I just noticed this problem now. I've got a Best Buy warranty (the anything but fully submerged warranty basically), but I don't want to go without my computer for two weeks. I'm really handy and have a tool for anything, including torx wrenches which I hear you need to fix this.

What I'm getting at is what are the exact steps I need to follow to fix the unnecessary slop in my hinge?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Step one, call apple (or best buy)
    Step two Make an appointment
    Step three, drop it off for repair.

Seriously, you can do more damage to it and void the best buy warranty if you mess up the repair.

If you're still intent on fixing it yourself, I'd google it, or head over to ifixit.com They have a number of tear down and upgrade guides. One of them might be useful for you.

3. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502

just out of curiosity..
    was your hinge always this loose or did it take some time?

4. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

If you do take it in, I wouldn't take it to Best Buy. I know you may not have a choice, considering the status of your standard warranty, but maybe take it to Apple instead. If it's only a week, they may help you out.

Just my two cents.
    In my experience, while Best Buy does have most tech and electronics you could want, they actually know very little about the products they sell.

5. JosephBergdoll thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, I don't plan on ever taking it into best buy unless it is either destroyed or nearly destroyed.

I'm sorry, I'm not the typical idiot who will pay $200 and forgo use of my computer for over a week to tighten a damn hinge. I did find the way to get to the hinges through ifixit though. Thanks.

It took 2 months and then I just put up with it, and now I'm finally sick of it so I'm doing something about it.

6. pullfocus macrumors 65816

pullfocus

My 1st gen iPhone was having battery issues and it was about a month out of warranty.
    I took it in to the Apple Store, inquiring about the $59 battery replacement or whatever option was available, and they just wound up swapping it out for a new one.

So while your Mac might be out of warranty, if you bring it in to the store, they might just do it, since it is such a quick fix if all it requires is the tightening of the hinge.

So hey, you never know.