How to Time Refresh?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by cokids, Aug 9, 2008.

1. cokids macrumors member

Is there a way I can time my refreshing of podcasts? My internet service puts a limit on my usage and if I go over, my service is slowed to a crawl for 24 hours!! I need to get online and do my refreshing/syncing between 3:00 and 6:00 AM so that this does not happen. IS there a way to set my Touch so that it refreshes and syncs automatically so that I don't have to get up at 3:00 AM to do it manually which I have been doing?

Beth

2. Padraic macrumors regular

Beth,

I just tried this and it seems to work. First off, set your preferences to check for new episodes daily, you'll notice that iTunes will tell you that it will check for new podcasts tomorrow at some time. To change that time, just select 'Podcasts' under your library and click the 'Refresh' button in the bottom right of the iTunes window at the time you want it to check daily.

I hit 'Refresh' at 2:42 pm and mine says it will check for new podcasts tomorrow at 2:42 pm.

I'm not sure how to make the iPod sync at a given time, but if you check daily it should keep the # of downloaded podcasts that need to be sync'd to a minimum and your sync time shouldn't be that long.

Hope that helps!

Patrick

3. cokids thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Patrick,

I'll check it out. It isn't the amount of time it takes to sync that is the problem....it's the size of the downloads. I am limited to 200 mb of download per day. What a racket!!

Beth

4. Padraic macrumors regular

200mb a day! I'd go over that just reading the news and browsing the iTunes store. It's amazing how some areas can limit Internet access.

I hope my suggestion helps!

Patrick

5. cokids thread starter macrumors member

Thank you Patrick,

I think it WILL help! Yes, I was overrunning my limit daily the first week I got my Touch, then I caught on and stopped syncing during normal hours. Now I get up between 3:00 and 5:00 to sync and refresh, but I think it's the refresh step that is running me over, not syncing. Syncing just adds what has been downloaded, right? That shouldn't be the issue.

Beth

6. Padraic macrumors regular

Yep, I think you'll be good with just changing the time iTunes refreshes.

Patrick