Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Troyte83

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
yea i dont think its worth the risk of your iPhone s***ing the bed just for some ringtones.

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
yea i dont think its worth the risk of your iPhone s****ing the bed just for some ringtones.

spoke with the one of the guys who did it , and he told me he is yet to see an iphone brick and could not recover.. 100% could restore.
im just waiting before i try , i can post some updates later.. looks like this is safe and works.. ur iphone will work normal after u put ringtones.

i was gonna post that!! GRrrrrr lol oh well ! i love IRC!!!

;)

exNavy

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Valley of the Sun
Well since someone already posted it, all credit goes to the community who helped me write that. And to those developers that made the programs to do this.

Feel free to mirror or redistribute.

rwdebes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 28, 2007
the updated tutorial on how to put custom ringtones and now change system sounds sucha as new email , voicemail , sms are up

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
I DID IT!!! it's soo cool!! it was a lil PAIN IN DA @$$$ but i did it!!! lol

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
just a quick question... what program can I use to change mp3 to m4a :confused:

Does'nt have to be m4a.. just make sure there is no number when u add the file and make sure it's under 30 secs. and it's mp3 Mp3 or m4a both work!! it's soo cool! hope a easier program comes out soon tho! THIS IS ONLY FOR MACS...

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
Daaang. I am very tempted to do this. How many people have done this successfully? Are we talking tens of people. Ha, I believe them when they say no iPhone has been bricked yet, but still. It's iPhone. I'm scared!

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
Daaang. I am very tempted to do this. How many people have done this successfully? Are we talking tens of people. Ha, I believe them when they say no iPhone has been bricked yet, but still. It's iPhone. I'm scared!

If you follow the directions carefully u won't brick ur fone as long as ur fone is fully charge u can always use itune restore to bring stuff back... so yea..

Lixivial

macrumors 6502a
Awesome! So replacing the Services.plist file actually did fix all the supposed "symlink issues." Losing iTunes syncing was the one thing keeping me from doing this, but I've done this and successfully resynced. I'm not sure I'd go around recommending this to everyone, but the step-by-step guide sure makes the process accessible to most people. If you're leary of doing this, I'd suggest waiting until a straightforward tool comes about, as it's sure to happen.

I gotta say, Yasunori Mitsuda should go into the ringtone business. Peaceful Days, Far Away Promise, Corridors of Time, and Guardia Millennial Fair? Perfect.

just a quick question... what program can I use to change mp3 to m4a :confused:

I've been using Quicktime Pro to grab 30 second bits of a song (Garageband, Audacity, or some other ilk would probably work too), export it to MPEG-4 and then changing the extension to .m4a. Otherwise iTunes will do it, as blakbyrd pointed out. To do this:

iTunes Menu -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Importing -> Import Using AAC Encoder. After doing this when right-clicking on a song, it will say "Convert selection to AAC."

loudestnoise

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2005
Nashville, TN
If you follow the directions carefully u won't brick ur fone as long as ur fone is fully charge u can always use itune restore to bring stuff back... so yea..

I guess my phone was pretty close to fully charged, but I did follow the steps and screwed up everything the first time. I used the 'CTU24' ringtone I found online, already in m4a format. The file would not play on iPhone. I then restored iPhone to factory condition and repeated the process again, this time using the CTU24 ringtone with a m4a file I had created with iTunes. I think something about iTunes creates better compatibility. It works just fine. I'm pretty excited.

digitalkid

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2006
If you follow the instructions everything works fine. Very little risk involved.
Tested and working with 20 ringtones.. i'm about to attack the system sounds right now.. Letcha know how that goes..

hanschien

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2006
Houston, TX
If you guys want a normal sounding ringtone that's in the commercial, you can find a similar tone if you have GarageBand installed.

/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/iLife Sound Effects/Work - Home/Cell Phone Ringing.aif

Convert it to AAC (.m4a) in iTunes.

organik

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2007
INTEL Mac Only

Just a note that this is for Intel Macs only, for now. I got all setup last night and ready to do it - and found out my G5 wouldn't work. :(

bluewoodboarder

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2007
completed

I just got doing this. It worked without any problems. I added a couple ringtones and yes it still syncs just fine with itunes.

Oh on a side note, music downloaded and protected by iTunes didn't work for me (no surprise). It transfered and everything but there is just silence when i go to play it.

Muncle

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2007
I just got doing this. It worked without any problems. I added a couple ringtones and yes it still syncs just fine with itunes.

Oh on a side note, music downloaded and protected by iTunes didn't work for me (no surprise). It transfered and everything but there is just silence when i go to play it.

I have a question. After doing all this, say it messes up or you want to start over, when you restore, do you lose all the custom ringtones and have a "fresh" iPhone?

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2003
NH
sigh...

I am just too lazy to go through 23 steps to add custom ring tones. I would rather wait <insert number here> amount of months to get the update from Apple.

:eek:

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
If you follow the instructions everything works fine. Very little risk involved.
Tested and working with 20 ringtones.. i'm about to attack the system sounds right now.. Letcha know how that goes..

Could you let us know what the more obscure/duplicated system sounds are for - ie. what's the difference between "SIMToolkitSMS.caf", "ReceivedMessage.caf" and "sms-received.caf", and basically which of those 3 would you use to change the SMS received sound?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.