How to trace an iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Bobabbey, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Bobabbey macrumors newbie

Hi,
    A girl at a boarding school where I work has had her iPad lost/stolen.

Is this traceable? Also, my concern is that if one of the other pupils has got it and wipes it, can it still be traced when they connect to iTunes?

Your help will be much appreciated.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yeah, if she had 'find my iPad' set up already, then it can be traced to an approximate location. Although, as you said, it might have been stolen by a fellow pupil, it's likely that FMi would confirm that it's in the building somewhere.

However, if the someone finds the iPod and doesn't intend to hand it over they just need to flip a switch in settings to disable FMi or restore in iTunes.

4. Bobabbey thread starter macrumors newbie

So unfortunately it is gone, there are a number of iPads on campus and I don't know how this one could be distinguished from the rest.
    Apple don't seem to be able to help.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

5. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

there is one other way but it would involve looking at the back of the ipads. every one has a serial number on it. and if she has her box or receipt it will have the serial number.

6. Bobabbey thread starter macrumors newbie

Might be slightly impractical but would solve any accusation.

7. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can have FMi set off an alarm on the iPad. That way if you have any suspects you'll be able to hear it.

8. qpid macrumors regular

This is why you passcode lock you iPad and setup Find my iPad at a minimum. A passcode would keep it from being accessed to disable Fmi.

9. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Apple helped her before she even decided to buy an iPad by creating the Find My iPhone App.

I had to force my little sister to take the time to set hers up. This is a prime example why you should right here.

I come across a lot of people who dont even know about the app and service. Apple should make this app a stock app.

10. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

the feature is stock. The app is just for actually tracking the lost device.

11. bld33 macrumors newbie

From my understanding, it seems like Find My iPad has a fatal flaw in the fact that you can only get location information if you are connected to wifi or 3g. Am I wrong on this? If I am correct I think that the odds of the service actually being helpful have diminished greatly.

12. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Of course you need a data connection to connect to a remote device, how else are you meant to communicate with it?

If it's a 3G model I assume it would use GPS, but failing that 3G and WiFi are obviously the only options.

13. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I have an iPad 2 Wifi version, and locating the device on Find My iPhone is really accurate considering it doesn't use GPS. Its pretty amazing actually considering how large the general area of triangulation was on my original iPhone in comparison.

14. Bobabbey thread starter macrumors newbie

But what about the point that if someone has it and has wiped it, can we still trace it, will the fmi still work as the serial is still the same (I assume you can't change as that would be daft)?

15. AdrianK macrumors 68020

No, it definitely wont, unfortunately.

16. Bobabbey thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, looks like it will be an insurance claim :(

Will have to make sure all these devices are locked in future, I know it is nit the be all and can be hacked with something called DFU but sounds like a lot of effort.

Thanks for your help and education.

17. AdrianK macrumors 68020

If you're advising people about this, it's worth noting that they don't have to set a system wide passcode; a password can be applied to the FMi toggle. There's a guide on that here.

I wouldn't under estimate DFU; in order to wipe the device all that's required is a quick button combination and restore in iTunes.

18. logandzwon macrumors 6502a

yes, if you know what your doing you can clear FMI pretty easily. Lucky, most thiefs are not masterminds with the life long goal of stealing your ipad. It's an opportunity thing.